Cheesy Pizza Roll Ups, a simple appetizer recipe, are the perfect holiday or game day food made with white bread, tomato paste, olives, oregano, and cheese.
When I’m in need of a comforting, simple recipe, I always turn to my mom. Her plethora of hand-written recipe cards overflowing in a small tin box are the golden ticket to recipes that feed the soul. Some of those cards are difficult to read from the scribbles and doodles courtesy of my sneaky childhood self (I could never resist drawing on things I wasn’t supposed to) but that’s another story.
The first time I remember my mom making these Pizza Roll Ups was for a holiday party in my backyard. Multiple tables were lined with plates and plates of finger food — a real dream for an eight-year old kid. My siblings and I were firmly told that we needed to save some food for our guests, as we were accustomed to chowing down on everything as quickly as possible (that was partly due to how amazing her food always was, but for myself it was a bit of a rat race with my siblings). Whoever ate the fastest got the most food, after all, and before the days of my own kitchen escapades, appetizers like these Pizza Roll Ups were a rare and hot commodity.
These days, when I attend appetizer parties, there’s always plates of fried food (chicken wings) and dips (artichoke and spinach), but rarely home-baked goods. That’s likely because the entire world is busier than ever, but if you do get a chance to spend some time with your chopping board and oven this season, place these Pizza Roll Ups at the top of your list.
They’re simple, economical, and for the little amount of effort it takes to make them, it’s hard to believe they’re homemade. They’re salty and cheesy and have just the right amount of meaty texture from the black olives. Even if you don’t have an appetizer party to attend, it’s definitely worth making Pizza Roll Ups on your next dinner date with your sweetie. Enjoy!
- 1 loaf of white square sandwich bread
- 1-12.7 oz can sliced black olives
- 2-5.3 oz cans tomato paste
- 1 cup grated cheese (mozzarella or cheddar)
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to broil (on low, if possible).
- In a small mixing bowl, add the olives, tomato paste, cheese, and oregano. Stir to combine.
- To prepare the bread, slice off the crusts, then roll each piece completely flat with a rolling pin. You can roll four at a time if you line them up in a square.
- Add a spoonful of the olive mixture onto the bottom half of one square of bread (just over 1 tablespoon).
- Starting from the bottom, tightly roll the bread and place two toothpicks perpendicular to the roll. Repeat with the rest of the bread and olive mixture.
- Place the roll ups on a baking sheet and brush each roll up with melted butter.
- Broil for about 5 minutes, or until golden and slightly crispy.
- Serve warm.
We hope you love these simple Cheesy Pizza Roll Ups from SoFabFood Contributor, Katy from My Dish is Bomb, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple and flavorful appetizer, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a single recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!