Craving a classic dessert? Bring the taste of French cooking home with this Simple French Creme Brûlée Recipe – a perfect cooking for two dessert. The sweet creamy center and crunch of sugar make this gluten-free mini dessert just irresistible. It’s way easier than you’d think!
What is creme brûlée?
The literal translation of creme brûlée means ‘burned cream’ but as with most things, perhaps the literal translation of the words isn’t the best way to understand what it truly is. Creme brûlée is a custard-based French mini dessert that’s primary ingredients are heavy cream and egg yolks, making it naturally gluten free. It’s topped with a layer of crisped up sugar so that when you take your first bite, you hear a crack on the surface.
Keep in mind, if you’re not cooking for two, simply double or triple the recipe to accommodate a crowd.
The secret to making creme brûlée:
The key is to cook it low and slow in a water bath. A water bath is when you cook your dishes in a larger dish filled with water to help spread the heat and cook your dessert evenly. Keep the oven temperature at 300ºF. Any higher and the water will start to boil and you’ll end up with scrambled egg custard.
A good creme brûlée has a hard topping and a super creamy (but chilled) filling. Also keep in mind you want the filling to be creamy, but not soup-like. It should hold its form when you scoop a spoonful.
Do I need a kitchen torch for creme brûlée?
No! There are a few alternative methods that you can use without any fancy equipment in your own kitchen. One option is to broil your creme brûlée for a few minutes. This technique is risky (one minute too long and you’ve heated your dessert all the way through, one minute too short and you’re left with a grainy sugar topping), but an option. Another technique is to heat a spoon over an oven burner (wear oven mitts!) and press the hot spoon into the sugar topping. This method can be time consuming, but effective.
Take this French mini dessert to the next level!
- Steep dried lavender or tea in the heavy cream before starting the recipe to infuse flavor.
- Add one teaspoon of a fruit extract to the custard.
- Mix in a spice like cinnamon to the custard.
If you are ready to dive into French cuisine and want to start with dessert, this decadent (but simple) gluten-free mini dessert is for you! Just take it step by step and don’t let yourself be intimidated by “fancy” French desserts. It’s perfectly proportioned for cooking for two – hello, date night!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (plus 1 tbsp for each ramekin you fill with custard)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF.
- In a stand mixer, mix egg yolks and sugar until just combined. Place heavy cream in saucepan. Heat cream on medium until just simmering. With the mixer running on low, slowly pour heavy cream into egg mixture. Add vanilla.
- Pour batter into ramekins and place ramekins in a larger baking pan or baking sheet with edges. Fill baking pan or sheet with water to reach halfway up the ramekins. Place in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until set in the middle.
- Remove ramekins from water bath and let cool before refrigerating until fully cool.
- When ready to eat, dust top of each ramekin with 1 tablespoon of sugar. Use a kitchen torch to melt the sugar.
- Serve and enjoy!
Home Chef Tip: If you don't have a kitchen torch, heat a spoon over an oven burner (wear oven mitts!) and press the hot spoon into the sugar topping.
We hope you love this French Creme Brûlée Recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Charlotte from Sweet Sundays, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this mini dessert, be sure to stop by our Desserts section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!