Relax at the end of the busy week and start your weekend with a savory spin by making this Kale Egg Breakfast Bake recipe packed full of wonderfully caramelized onions and fresh ginger.
I think that caramelized onions are simply magical. They are delicious straight out of the pan and they can lend so much flavor to whatever recipe they are used in. You can bet I depend heavily on them in most of my dishes.
I have admit, however, that sometimes I do a shoddy job of caramelizing them. Instead of taking my time to draw out the flavor of sliced onions as they slowly caramelize over a medium flame, I turn that flame up a tad bit and resort to quickly “browning” (aka burning) them more than caramelizing them. While browned onions are delicious in their own right, they don’t have quite the depth of flavor that slowly caramelized onions tend to have. If you happen to be interested, this article does a fantastic job of describing the process and levels of caramelization when it comes to onions.
Savory Kale Egg Breakfast Bake Recipe
Getting back to this Kale Egg Breakfast Bake recipe, I made use of some extra time on my hands to slowly caramelize an onion. From start to perfect browning, it took about 37-40 minutes. I have been using a lot of frozen kale and spinach in my recipes this winter so I threw in some frozen kale around the 37 minute mark and let the liquid deglaze the pan along with the onions. I also added a little bit of freshly grated ginger, salt, and pepper. This would make a delicious side by itself.
I needed to turn this recipe into a breakfast so I added in milk, some cheese, eggs, and mixed it all up, then popped it in the oven for 25 minutes. Out popped this cheesy, golden, flavor-packed Kale Egg Breakfast Bake! My daughter and I enjoyed it with some sambal oelek, but it is just as delicious by itself or with some ketchup.
- 1 onion
- 2 cups frozen kale
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice (I used lactose free)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Add olive oil to a pan that's over a low-medium flame.
- Slice onions and add them to the pan. Let them caramelize slowly, stirring every so often (it took me about 37-40 minutes).
- Around the 37 minute mark, add in the frozen kale. Let the liquid from the frozen kale deglaze the pan as the kale warms up.
- As soon as kale is slightly warm (don't let it get hot), remove pan from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Stir fresh ginger into skillet, season with salt and pepper according to your taste.
- In another bowl, mix together the eggs and milk, then add in the cheddar cheese.
- Add the kale, onions, and ginger mix to the milk, egg, and cheese mix and stir.
- Pour this into an oven-proof casserole dish/baking tray.
- Bake at 375ºF for 25 minutes.
- Serve warm with sambal oelek or ketchup.
Home Chef Tip: Remove tough outer layers, root, and stem of your onion before slicing. Slice onion as thin as possible from root to tip for best results.
We hope you enjoy this savory Kale Egg Breakfast Bake recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Shashi from Savory Spin, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Breakfast section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!