Sautéed Veggie Stuffed Lentil Crepes, aka Veggie Stuffed Moong Dal Chilla, are a cheap healthy meal to enjoy as a nutritious breakfast. This popular Indian vegetarian dish gets protein from the Moong Dal Lentils and vitamins and minerals from the mixed veggies.
Start your day with this nutritious breakfast!
This Moong Dal Chilla is a popular vegetarian dish from North India. Chillas are pancakes or savory crepes served with tomato ketchup and green chutney. They are also known as pudlas or dosas. Moong Dal Lentils are split green mung beans which are used for this recipe. Moong Dal are available at any Indian grocery store and if you don’t have one in your area, you can find them on Amazon too.
Today, I am sharing this classic Indian recipe with a healthy twist. These Sautéed Veggie Stuffed Lentil Crepes are a healthy option for a low fat, delicious, and nutritious breakfast. Although, traditionally, this is a breakfast food, this vegetarian dish can be served at a Sunday brunch or as a quick weeknight meal.
My whole family loves this recipe, especially my son. As a bonus, Moong Dal is considered one of the healthiest dal and is also an ideal breakfast or snack for diabetics.
Making Lentil Crepes is so easy. The batter for these crepes comes together very quickly. You just need to soak the Moong Dal and sauté the veggies of your choice with some salt and pepper. Since you can store the crepes batter for up to four days in a refrigerator, it’s easy to make ahead so that prep time is reduced when you’re ready to make this nutritious breakfast.
- 1 cup Moong Dal / Split green Mung Beans
- Salt to taste
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1 Green chili, adjust to taste
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 cup Mushroom, chopped
- 1 cup Chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Broccoli florets
- 2 cup Chopped Spinach
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Crushed black pepper
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Tomato ketchup
- Vegan Mayo
- Soak Moong Dal for at least an hour in water. Once soaked, drain all the water.
- Place in blender with ginger, chili, salt, cumin seeds, and a cup of water. Grind into smooth batter. The batter should be neither thick nor thin. It should be like pancake or dosa batter consistency. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and sauté for few seconds.
- Now add all the veggies. Season them with salt and pepper.
- Sauté for 2 minutes over high flame.
- Switch off the flame and let it cool little bit.
- Heat giddle/tawa/pan on a medium flame. Apply some oil.
- Take a ladle full of batter and spread into a thin small circle. Add oil generously to the sides and also in the center.
- Cook on medium flame for 2 minutes until the chilla becomes golden and crispy on the edges.
- Apply some tomato ketchup and vegan mayo.
- Place some sautéed veggies on the crepe. Then flip the crepes over to form a semi circle or moon shape.
- Serve hot with more some more ketchup.
Home Chef Tip: Ensure the batter is of medium consistency. If it's too thin, add some rice flour. If it's too thick, add a little water.
Love this recipe? Pin it for later!
We hope you enjoy this Sautéed Veggie Stuffed Lentil Crepes recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Dhwani from Cooking Carnival, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Vegetarian Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!