Start your day off the right way with this Roasted Potato Cheesy Garlic Toast! Not only is this a hearty breakfast, but it can also be ready very quickly, especially if you plan ahead and prepare the roasted potatoes the night before.
Roasted Potato Cheesy Garlic Toast
This Roasted Potato Cheesy Garlic Toast combines two things I love – garlic bread and roasted potatoes. The roasted potatoes will delight you with their sweet and spicy flavors while a dash of lime completes the flavorful journey with a nice tangy finish, much like a wonderful wine that teases your palate. The garlic bread with melted cheese and a few cilantro leaves is the perfect base to complete the dish.
As a busy parent, I always feel that there are never enough hours in a day. Mornings especially can get totally overwhelming. Trying to get the kids fed and ready for school, the last thing we have time for is to put together a nice breakfast. Fortunately for us, recipes like this Roasted Potato Cheesy Garlic Toast can come together quickly. Make the roasted potatoes a day ahead and stash them in the refrigerator. The next morning, either use store-bought garlic bread or make one in under 5 minutes and enjoy a breakfast that will keep you satisfied until lunch.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 3-4 medium sized potatoes, peeled and chopped (approximately 2 cups of chopped potatoes)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp lime juice (approximately half a lime)
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter) or olive oil
- A dash of salt and pepper
- 4 slices of bread
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of your choice (mozzarella, Monterey Jack, etc.)
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan over medium heat. As the oil heats up, add cumin seeds and when the start to sizzle, add green chilies.
- Fry them for 10 seconds then add potatoes, coriander, cumin, turmeric, and red chili powder along with salt and sugar.
- Mix well and continue to cook the potatoes over medium heat, while stirring occasionally. The potatoes should cook through in about 20-25 minutes.
- Add lime juice and mix well. Take the pan off heat and set it aside.
- Mix ghee, minced garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Divide and spread the mixture evenly between 4 slices of bread.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Place the bread with the garlic spread face down. Cook it for a minute or two before flipping to the other side.
- Add a tablespoon of cheese on the bread and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan and let the cheese melt before setting the bread aside.
- Repeat the process for remaining bread slices.
- Spoon warm roasted potato mixture on each of the slices.
- Sprinkle cheese generously over the roasted potatoes. Broil the bread slices in an oven for a minute or two until the cheese melts if desired.
Home Chef Tip: Soak peeled, washed ,and cut potatoes in cold water for a couple of hours. That keeps the potatoes from sticking together and helps make them crisp.
Don’t like cheese? Feel free to skip it. Those roasted potatoes are so flavor-filled that they taste good with or without cheese. While the combination of garlic bread plus the sweet and spicy roasted potatoes seems like a match made in heaven to me, you can also use regular bread instead of garlic bread as a base if you are short on time.
We hope you enjoy this Roasted Potato Cheesy Garlic Toast recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Anushree from Simmer to Slimmer, as much as we do. If you like this breakfast ideas, visit our Breakfast section for even more recipes to help you start your day off right. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!