Relax at the end of the day by sipping on a Rhubarb Whiskey Sour Cocktail that embodies everything you love about summer. Hints of ginger and honey round out this balanced cocktail.
Farmers market season is in full swing and the abundance of fruits and vegetables available is perfect for making refreshing recipes like this Rhubarb Whiskey Sour Cocktail recipe. Shopping for fresh produce has been an adjustment since moving to Ohio. Arizona has year round outdoor markets making it easier to get my hands on seasonal goods. Luckily the warmer spring weather brought newly opened farmers markets here in the midwest!
Rhubarb Whiskey Sour Cocktail Recipe
This time of year, one of my favorite desserts is a good old-fashioned strawberry rhubarb pie. It’s sweet tart flavor combo is a generational favorite passed down over the years. Thanks to the likes of Instagram though, my eyes have been opened. Rhubarb has many other delightful partners and my feed has been full of tasty-looking ideas. After a little research and tasting, I went with the hints of ginger and honey found in this Rhubarb Whiskey Sour.
A classic whiskey sour is made with whiskey, fresh lemon juice, sugar, and a bit of egg white. If the idea of egg whites in your drink makes you a little squeamish or if you are looking for a vegan option, aquafaba is the answer. Auqufaba is the liquid leftover from cooking chickpeas and can be used as an egg white substitute in a variety of recipes like meringues or marshmallows.
I used a simple syrup instead of sugar to add the sweet, tart rhubarb flavor. Typically a simple syrup is made with sugar and water, but in this recipe, I used honey for a little flair. A sliver of fresh ginger gives it a hint of spiciness. If you like honey as a sweetener for cocktails, be sure to make one of my Honey Grapefruit Martinis.
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 cups roughly-chopped rhubarb
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger
- 4 ounces quality bourbon
- 3 ounce rhubarb-ginger simple syrup
- 2 ounces fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Dash egg white
- Add water, rhubarb, honey, and ginger to a medium sauce pan. Bring to a low boil, stir frequently. Remove from heat, allow to cool completely. Chill in fridge overnight for more intense flavor. Strain fruit from syrup and discard.
- Fill two rocks glasses with ice, set aside.
- Add cocktail ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake vigorously 10 seconds to chill.
- Pour into ice-filled glasses. Garnish with rhubarb ribbons, serve immediately.
Home Chef Tip: Use the rhubarb ginger simple syrup with sparkling water and a little lemon juice for a refreshing mocktail.
We hope you love this Rhubarb Whiskey Sour Cocktail recipe as much as we do. If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to stop by our Cocktail section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!