Celebrate our nation while you and your guests enjoy these Red, White, and Blue Cupcakes for Memorial Day, 4th of July, or Labor Day. The bright, layered colors will bring out everyone’s patriotism!
Simple, Layered Red, White, and Blue Cupcakes
When it comes to making a dessert to bring to a celebration, my first thought is always to make cupcakes. Sure, I could make a cake and then cut it, but cupcakes speak to me. I think it comes down to the decorating process – with cupcakes, you get to decorate each one in whatever manner you choose and they can all be unique and different and awesome in their own ways. Cake, on the other hand, is a one shot deal. You decorate the cake once, and everyone gets (more or less) the same thing on their slice. I like variety in my life, so cupcakes always win this battle.
I started thinking of what I wanted to make for Memorial Day, and I knew a few things off the bat: they would be cupcakes, they would be red, white, and blue, and they would be decorated with fruit. Fruit in the summer months is my go-to decoration because so many of them have vibrant colors and it makes for a healthier way to complete the art of cupcake decorating without adding even more butter and sugar-based stuff on top.
I love these layered Red, White, and Blue Cupcakes. They’re light and fluffy, and all you need to get started is a box of white cake mix and can of whipped white frosting. They’re super simple to doctor up just enough to make them taste like they were made from scratch, and layering the colors isn’t anywhere near as difficult as you may think!
Look at those luscious layers – so perfectly imperfect. The only thing I love as much about these cupcakes as I do the flavor might be the patriotic pattern left on the wrappers!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk (dairy, almond, or coconut)
- ¼ cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red gel food coloring
- Blue gel food coloring
- 1 can whipped white frosting
- Assorted berries and sprinkles, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a cupcake tin with paper cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, milk, butter, and vanilla and mix on medium speed until well combined and no lumps remain.
- Separate batter equally between three small bowls (approximately 1½ to 2 cups in each).
- Add drops of red gel food coloring (2-3 at a time) to one of the bowls and stir until you reach desired color. Keep in mind it will lighten slightly after baking.
- Repeat with the blue gel food coloring.
- Using a tablespoon, gently spoon a layer of red-colored (or blue, if you'd prefer the colors in reverse order) batter into each cup. Then gently add white batter on top, making sure it reaches the edge of the cup. Then add the blue batter on top - each cup should be ¾ full once you're done.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes and then move to wire rack to cool completely.
- Empty container of frosting into a large bowl and whip on high speed until lighter and fluffy.
- Pipe on top of cooled cupcakes and top with berries and/or sprinkles. Enjoy!
We hope you love these Red, White, and Blue Cupcakes from SoFabFood Contributor, Leslie from Stress Baking, as much as we do. If you like this recipe, be sure to stop by our desserts section for even more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and be sure to like us on Facebook and find us on Pinterest for even more fabulous dessert inspiration. Enjoy!