Did you know that sauerkraut is a great source for natural probiotics? Sauerkraut is a healthy side dish that is very easy to make and customize to your taste preference. For this recipe for Raw Fermented Probiotic Sauerkraut, we use cabbage, carrots, jalapeños, and pink himalayan sea salt, but you can add in caraway seeds or other vegetables to the cabbage if you’d prefer.
You don’t need a special crock because a mason jar works great. Sauerkraut is so simple to make, this is a great recipe for the first time “Probiotic” DIY’er. For a small batch, it takes a minimum of three days to let the cabbage ferment. Taste it and put it in the refrigerator when it gets to the sour point you are looking for.
- Wild Fermentation – This is a really good resource to learn more about general fermentation of vegetables and fermentation health benefits.
- Cultures For Health – This is a great resource for fermentation and useful equipment. Get their Free E Book on Fermentation!
- Wikipedia offers more general information, health benefits, and tips.
- 1 head of green cabbage
- ½ cup of carrots
- 2 jalapeños
- 1½ tbsp sea salt
- Purified Water
- Shred cabbage and carrots.
- Dice jalapeño.
- Place vegetables in large bowl and slowly add the sea salt and mix.
- Massage the salt into the mixture slowly for about ten minutes, pressing hard to release the liquid.
- Place into a Crock or Mason Jar and weigh the cabbage down under the liquid. If you need more liquid, add some water. We use a little juice jar with a plastic bag of water to push the cabbage under the water.
- Press down every few hours for the first day.
- Let it ferment in a dark, cool place for up to 10 days. We start tasting it on the third day. This is all up to your taste buds.
- After it has fermented to your desired taste, refrigerate.
If you love this healthy recipe, find more like it in our recipe index. Be sure to follow us on Facebook and join our Google + Community to find more healthy recipes from our community members. And for even more healthy inspiration, visit us on Pinterest. Enjoy!