Need an easy 10-minute, hearty breakfast? Try this Poached Egg Avocado Toast! A healthy whole food breakfast with protein and nutrients. Learn how to make a poached egg the easy way!
If you learn how to make a poached egg, the world of breakfast foods opens up.
I’ll be honest here. For years, I thought I didn’t like poached eggs. I finally had an amazing avocado toast breakfast topped with a poached egg and realized I had been missing out.
Then, I started ordering poached eggs almost every time I went out to eat. I would try Eggs Benedict, Avocado Toast, Carbonara Pasta, and even Crispy Poached Eggs. After a few months of this, I decided to bite the bullet and learn how to cook this delicacy at home. And guess what? Poached eggs are insanely easy to make.
Learn how to make a poached egg!
Poached eggs look beautiful, taste beautiful, and even smell beautiful. They’re light, soft, and add that perfect extra bit of flavor without overpowering the dish. Once you learn how to make the perfect poached egg, you’ll realize just how many dishes it can be added to. Anything from a creamy pasta dish to a quick on-the-go breakfast tastes better with this small addition.
There’s a lot of vague answers on the internet about how to make a poached egg the right way. Some sites give readers no actual direction as to how long it should cook for, while others’ instructions speak to only make 6 eggs or more at once. Luckily, that’s not necessary at all, and there is a specific time that you should cook your egg to get it just right.
A simple, 10-minute whole food breakfast!
My personal favorite meal with poached eggs in avocado toast. It takes less than 10 minutes to make, including prep work. This avocado toast recipe is full of healthy fats and fresh flavors.
I especially love adding lemon juice on the top of my avocado toast. It adds a raw, crisp seasoning that you just can’t get with pre-packaged food.
- 1 egg
- 1 dash of vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 piece of multigrain toast
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- A small bunch of cilantro or lettuce (for toppings)
- 1/4 lemon
- Fill a wide, shallow pan (any frying pan will do) 3/4 of the way up with water.
- Place pan over medium heat for ~5 minutes until it boils. Reduce temperature to a low/medium setting (3/10 is optimal).
- Add vinegar and 1/8 tsp salt to the pan and swirl in a circular motion.
- Gently crack egg into a cup. Slide the egg into the middle of the pan.
- Cook for exactly 3 minutes 30 seconds. Use a slotted spoon to remove the egg and place it on a separate plate to dry.
- Place toast and sliced avocado on a plate. Top with the egg, cilantro, and salt.
- Drizzle with olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon juice if desired.
Home Chef Tip: Easily swap out this multigrain bread for a gluten free option!
We hope you enjoy this Poached Egg Avocado Toast recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Alexandra from Chasing Daisies, as much as we do. If you love this 10-minute breakfast idea, you can find more like it by visiting our Breakfast Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!