The aroma of this Orange Spiced Mulled Wine smells so incredible that your entire house will have the scent of cinnamon and cloves. With only 20 minutes of prep time, this is the perfect holiday cocktail to serve!
Hey there, it’s Edyta from Innocent Delight and today I’m bringing you an amazing recipe for Orange Spiced Mulled Wine. I grew up in Poland, where mulled wine is served during the winter months almost everywhere. I can actually say that it’s almost as popular as Authentic Polish Pierogi with Cheese and Potatoes. In fact, it’s very popular across Europe; especially in countries that have frigid winters.
I’m confident that if you decide to go skiing in Austria, Switzerland, or the Czech Republic, you’ll be able to treat yourself at the end of your day to mulled wine right next to the lift. It’s just super popular over there!
Orange Spiced Mulled Wine Recipe
The history of drinking mulled wine during the winter months in Poland goes back to the 16th century. It was believed to have healing powers. I’m not sure how much truth there is to that, but I do know that it does warm you up. The aroma of this Orange Spiced Mulled Wine smells so incredible that your entire house will have the scent of cinnamon and cloves. Nothing screams the holidays louder than those warm spices. You can serve it at any holiday gathering and I guarantee that your guests will be delighted.
The best part is that it only takes about 20 minutes to prepare. You can either simmer it on a stove, or alternatively you can make it in a slow cooker and keep it warm throughout the whole evening.
The most important thing to remember is to not bring it to a boil, it needs to be warmed; mulled, but not boiled. Please watch it carefully. Serve warm with some additional orange slices and cinnamon sticks for your next holiday gathering and you’ll become the star of the night. If you like this recipe you may also like this amazing Orange Cinnamon Hot Toddy recipe.
- 1 bottle of dry or semisweet red wine
- 5-8 cloves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 4-6 tbsp honey or brown sugar, depending on desired sweetness
- 2 sliced oranges + more for garnish
- Rind from 1 lemon
- 2 star anise
- 4 cinnamon sticks for garnish
- Combine all the ingredients except for cinnamon sticks and additional oranges that will be used for garnish in a non-aluminum pot.
- Start with 4 tablespoons of honey and add more if needed. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. It can simmer on a very low heat for several hours to stay warm. Make sure not to boil it.
- Remove the lemon rind and oranges from the pot.
- Once the wine is very warm, pour it into the mugs or glasses that are made for hot drinks.
- You can use a strainer when pouring the wine to avoid spices in your drink.
- Serve it with additional slices of oranges and cinnamon sticks.
Home Chef Tip: Make this recipe in your slow cooker and keep the wine on Warm setting through the evening.
We hope you enjoy this Orange Spiced Mulled Wine recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Edyta from Innocent Delight, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, be sure to check out our Cocktail section to make your weekends more delightful. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!
Disclosure: Message intended for our readers 21+ only. Please drink responsibly!