The ingredients in these Oatmeal Crumble Cranberry Bars combine to create a slightly tart, sweet, and hearty dessert. These delightful bars are perfect slightly warmed in the microwave with a side of vanilla ice cream. Your whole family will love these bars!
If you can’t find fresh cranberries, you can easily substitute for frozen berries. I always try to buy a few extra bags of fresh cranberries when they are in season to freeze for desserts like these Oatmeal Crumble Cranberry Bars. For best results, let the dessert completely cool for several hours before removing and cutting into bars. If you cut them while they are warm, they will not hold their shape.
This is a versatile recipe as you can substitute other fruit instead of cranberries. I have made the bars with raspberries and also blackberries and they were both particularly good.
- 4 cups cranberries, fresh
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup quick oats
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¾ cup butter, cold
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cranberries, water, sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. When mixture boils, reduce heat to low, but let mixture simmer until cranberries burst and mixture thickens, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add maple syrup and vanilla extract, stirring until incorporated. Let mixture cool.
- Line an 8-inch square pan with foil. Create handles by letting the foil hang over sides of pan. Line foil with parchment paper and also spray lighting with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, and brown sugar. Stir well. Using a pastry blender, cut the cold butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Work with fingers until mixture is moist and uniform.
- Reserve ¾ cup crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into bottom of the prepared baking pan. Smooth to create a level surface and then set aside.
- Pour cranberry mixture over crumb crust, smoothing to create a level surface. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes until filling sets and crumb topping is golden brown. Let cool completely for several hours.
- Lift from pan using foil handles, and place on a cutting surface. Lightly dust with icing sugar and cut into bars.
We hope you love these Oatmeal Crumble Cranberry Bars from SoFabFood Contributor, Bella of xoxoBella, as much as we do. If you love this delightful recipe, stop by our Desserts section to find more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and you can visit our Pinterest boards for even more incredible dessert ideas. Enjoy!