Learn the many amazing health benefits Nutritional Yeast has to offer and ways to work it flavorfully into your daily diet.
Nutritional Yeast is sold in the form of flakes or as a yellow powder and can be found in the bulk aisle of most natural food stores. Nutritional Yeast is packed with essential vitamins and minerals. It’s one of the best non-animal sources of folic acid and vitamin B-12. Nutritional Yeast fulfills your entire recommended daily requirement of vitamin B.
On average, two tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast provides 60 calories with 5 grams of carbohydrates (of which 4 grams are fiber). A serving also provides 9 grams of protein and is a complete protein, providing all nine amino acids the human body cannot produce. It is gluten free and can be used easily as a substitute for parmesan cheese.
The yeast itself is grown on beets and dehydrated. Nutritional Yeast is a super food packed with benefits. Sprinkle it over foods for a nutty, cheesy flavor.
Ways to use Nutritional Yeast:
- Sprinkle it over popcorn to add cheesy flavor.
- Skip the cheese on pizza and sprinkle a layer on top of your vegetables.
- Vegan Cheese Sauce: Check out this recipe for Low-Fat Vegan Cheeze Sauce for a 5-ingredient approach.
- Try making Spicy & Cheesy Kale Chips to step up the nutritional value of traditional kale chips.
- Use it in this Macaroni and Cheese recipe. This vegan recipe offers cheesy comfort with a creamy, sweet potato base.
We hope you found this information on Nutritional Yeast helpful. For more informational posts like this, be sure to stop by our Food and Fitness section to help you out in your quest for a healthier, happier you!
Disclosure: The author of this article is not a trained medical professional, nor a dietician. All of the information in this post is based on research, doctor recommendations, and personal experience.