Make your Mother’s Day brunch more festive when you serve up this simple Breakfast Nachos recipe. Eggs, chicken hot dogs, cheese, avocado, tomatoes, and hash browns top tortilla chips for a unique flavor sensation.
You know what’s really exciting about this Mother’s Day for me? It’s my first! You could argue my first Mother’s Day was last year when I was 40 weeks, one day pregnant, but my son waited a mere two more days to make his arrival. This 2017 Mother’s Day is something special because we actually get to celebrate it together this year.
Mother’s Day is typically categorized by a lovely day with the women in your life while everyone spends time with each other and eats breakfast or brunch. One of the foods I love most are nachos so, if brunch is going to be anywhere in the picture, why not make breakfast nachos?!
Breakfast Nachos Perfect for Mother’s Day Brunch
Now that my son is just shy of a year old, he is all about the toppings that I have on these nachos. His favorite is the eggs, but he also loves everything else – cheese, tomatoes, avocado, and hash browns. The only thing on these breakfast nachos that he doesn’t eat yet are the chicken hot dogs.
Chicken hot dogs?, you might ask. Yes, absolutely! Please trust me on this. As much as I appreciate a slice of bacon, I’m being more intentional about the things I eat and I’m attempting to be a little healthier, for myself and as an example for my son. Normally, you may put bacon on these nachos, but I encourage you to try chicken hot dogs. I found an uncured version with no added nitrates and they taste great!
Let me break this recipe down for you. First, you have your tortilla chips. Scramble up some eggs, crisp up some hash browns, sauté those juicy tomatoes until they are blistered in some spots, boil and cut up your chicken hot dog, and top with as much cheese as you desire. The next step is a short bake in the oven to get the cheese all melty. Finally, the topping is just hand-torn cilantro with creamy pieces of avocado and a mini squirt of fresh lime juice.
It’s absolutely okay for your mouth to be watering right now. I hope you and yours have a fantastic Mother’s Day. You desert it!
- 1/2 bag tortilla chips
- 4 eggs, cooked how you prefer them (I used scrambled)
- 15 ounces hash browns (I purchased a 30 ounce frozen bag and used about half)
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 chicken hot dog, boil and sliced
- 1/2 cup Mexican four-cheese blend (or however much of whichever cheese you desire)
- 1 avocado, chopped (without pit or skin)
- 2 tablespoons freshly torn cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread tortilla chips on the baking sheet and set aside.
- In a medium sauté pan, make your eggs according to your preference.
- In a separate sauté pan, make the hash browns according to package directions.
- In yet another pan, add the olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the olive oil is heated, add the tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir and flip to achieve your desired level of 'blister'.
- As the eggs, hash browns, and blistered tomatoes finish, remove each from heat.
- In a pot, heat water to boil and cook the chicken hot dog for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To assemble breakfast nachos: Top tortilla chips with eggs, hash browns, tomatoes, a sprinkling of salt and pepper (maybe even some red pepper flakes), and the chicken hot dog. Top with desired amount of cheese.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted as you'd prefer. Remove from oven.
- Top with cilantro, avocado, and lime juice.
Home Chef Tip: For a vegetarian version of this recipe, use black beans instead of the chicken hot dog.
We hope you enjoy these Mother’s Day Breakfast Nachos from SoFabFood Contributor, Jennifer from The Foodie Patootie, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Breakfast Section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!