Dill pickles, bacon, and salami. These are essentials for one amazing summer potato salad. You won’t need to bring back any leftovers if you make this Meaty Dill Pickle Potato Salad for your next barbecue.
Growing up, I remember watching my mom make potato salad for summer gatherings. She made a traditional potato salad with eggs and celery. Occasionally she would throw in some chopped dill pickles, it was my favorite part. My Meaty Dill Pickle Potato Salad recipe promises to deliver delicious pickles in every bite.
You can make this potato salad the day of your gathering or prep a majority of the items the night before. If you are short on time, start the potatoes a day before, drain, and leave them in the fridge overnight. The bacon can also be cooked and crumbled a day before, along with some of the chopping. If you have an early start to your day, then you just have to assemble and mix up the potato salad. I also believe potato salads just get better over time, so making the whole thing the night before is fine too. If you do, you might have to add a little extra ranch dressing before serving because the potatoes will soak some of it up overnight.
Meaty Dill Pickle Potato Salad Recipe
The key to a perfect potato salad is getting a piece of every ingredient in each bite. Chop and dice everything into small pieces. No one wants to get a large bite of onion or not get any pickles in their Meaty Dill Pickle Potato Salad.
Whole grain mustard gives this salad a little extra flavor and it’s not drenched in ranch dressing. The ranch binds everything together, but the salad is not soaked or slathered. However, if you feel the need to add more dressing, go for it. Feel free to use this recipe as a guide and add more or less of your favorite ingredients. I used thick cut bacon and extra thick salami and it turned out perfect!
A delicious Dill Pickle Potato Salad loaded with bacon, salami, pickles, and dill.
- 6 medium sized potatoes (about 7 cups diced)
- 1 16 ounce package of bacon
- 1 8 ounce package of hard salami, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced dill pickles
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste (about a teaspoon each)
- Clean and chop your potatoes. Boil potatoes until tender, then drain and allow to cool completely. For best results, refrigerate for at least two hours.
- While your potatoes are on the stove, prepare the bacon. Bake according to the directions on the package - leave it in a little longer for extra crispy bacon.
- Chop salami, red onion, pickles, and fresh dill. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes are cool, add them to a large mixing bowl.
- Crumble the bacon. Reserve some for topping your final dish.
- Add in salami, onion, pickles, dill, mustard, ranch, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Garnish with additional bacon and dill.
Home Chef Tip: Do not overcook the potatoes and allow them to cool completely before mixing to avoid mushy potato salad.
We hope you love this Meaty Dill Pickle Potato Salad recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Raquel from Horses and Heels, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this delicious recipe, be sure to visit our Salad Section for more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and for daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!