No matter how busy you are or how crazy your life is, now there are no excuses to skip breakfast with this amazing Make Ahead Sausage Breakfast Burrito recipe.
Make Ahead Sausage Breakfast Burritos Recipe
We always hear that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and it couldn’t be more true. Eating a well balanced first meal has so many benefits. It helps to refuel your body, gives you energy, and is a great opportunity to start your day with a boost so that you can be the best version of yourself all day long.
We are a busy family. Add a new baby into the mix and we’re even busier. Sadly, this means that eating healthy sometimes takes a back burner. Whether it is my husband running out the door a few minutes late for work because baby was up all night, we’re off to an early morning doctor appointment, or our pre-swimming lessons nap runs a little late, having something that is not only healthy, but that we can grab and eat in a hurry, or even on the go, is key for our family.
Make ahead breakfasts, like this easy to make, budget-friendly, and healthy Sausage Breakfast Burrito, are the secret to getting our mornings started off right.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 6 small red potatoes, parboiled and diced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 14-16 medium flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pptional ingredients: spinach, green onions, yellow, orange or red bell pepper, jalapeno, ham, bacon, tofu, ground beef, chicken, or turkey
- In a large skillet, cook pork over medium heat.
- Once the pork is cooked through, add potatoes, onion, and veggies of choice to the skillet. Cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or until tender and heated through.
- Add the eggs to the skillet. Stir until cooked.
- Remove tortillas from bag and heat in microwave for 20-30 seconds. (If the tortillas are not warmed, they will fall apart when attempting to roll.)
- Lay one warm tortilla on a flat surface. Spoon the mixture off center on each tortilla. If using, sprinkle with cheese.
- Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up.
To Freeze: Wrap each individual burrito in waxed paper (optional) and then aluminium foil. Put individually wrapped burritos in a large freezer bag for easy storage. Label freezer bag with the date and type of burrito, if making more than one. Burritos will freeze for up to 1 month.
To Reheat: Remove aluminum foil and waxed paper from burrito. Place the burrito on a microwave-safe plate, seam side down. Heat in microwave on high for 1.5-2 minutes, or until heated through. Let cool for 20-30 seconds before eating.
Home Chef Tip: To balance out this meal, pair with a side of fresh cut fruit. Choose those that are found local and in season. For us, that means peaches!
Making these burritos can also be a great family activity! The ingredient possibilities are almost endless, so you can allow your children to customize their own burrito.
Sure, you can fill your freezer with store-bought frozen meals, but with just a little time, fresh ingredients, and a lot less money, you can have a healthy and quick breakfast for two for a full week!
We also love this option when we go camping because they are easy to reheat over the camping stove or fire.
We hope you love this simple and delicious Make Ahead Sausage Breakfast Burrito recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Mar from To & Fro, as much as we do. If you like this breakfast idea, visit our Breakfast section for even more recipes to help you start your day off right. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and you can visit our Pinterest boards for even more incredible breakfast food inspiration. Enjoy!