Delicious Homemade Vegetable Egg Rolls that are Low in Sodium!
Egg rolls are great to serve as a side dish with your Asian meals, they are an awesome party appetizer, and they are a delicious option for lunch. Traditional egg roll recipes are loaded with sodium, so if you’re trying to limit your salt intake, you’ll love this recipe for Lower Sodium Vegetable Egg Rolls. You can easily add meat to this recipe by cutting the vegetable portion in half and adding in chicken or pork, but remember, that will raise the sodium level quite a bit.
- 1 pkg egg roll wrappers
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp low sodium Soy Sauce
- 2⅓ cups canola oil
- Heat ⅓ cup Canola oil in a large frying pan on the stove top.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the cabbage, carrots, and green onions with the soy sauce and ginger.
- Heat vegetable mixture in the oil until tender but not mushy, about 5 minutes.
- Lay out the egg roll wrappers, one at a time, and place about 2 tablespoons of the vegetable mixture in the middle.
- Roll the bottom up, then both sides in, then roll the last flap to complete.
- Note: If you put a thin layer of water on the perimeter of the wrap, it holds much better.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 cups of cooking oil for frying.
- Fry the egg rolls on one side for about a minute, flip them and do the same on the other side until the entire egg roll is golden brown.
Pair these lower sodium egg rolls with sweet and sour sauce or enjoy them sauce free. They’re delicious either way. If you love this low sodium recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Low Sodium section. Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single healthy recipe. Just by entering your email, you’ll receive a free recipe per day delivered right to your inbox. Enjoy!