Eating better doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice dessert, you just need to choose more wisely. This Chocolate Coconut Whip Parfait is a healthier dessert option that is refined sugar free. This lower calorie dessert is a dairy-free whip cream made with coconut milk, layered with fresh berries and toasted almonds.
Treat yourself with this lower calorie dessert!
This Chocolate Coconut Whip Parfait is the perfect balance between healthy eating and treating yourself for all of your hard work at the gym. There has been a lot of talk over the years about coconut oil, but recently I have been noticing a shift towards coconut milk. Likely a result of people’s growing awareness about intolerances to dairy, vegan diets, and the growing availability of milk alternatives in the grocery aisle.
This recipe uses coconut milk that has been chilled overnight or for several hours to separate the water from the coconut milk itself. When chilled, the coconut cream rises to the top and can easily be scooped out of the can and made into a decadent dairy-free whipped cream. This recipe calls for the addition of cocoa powder to make it chocolate of course. You can also leave out the chocolate and make a vanilla whip just as easily with this recipe.
A versatile dessert everyone will love!
When I make this recipe, I make it for all four of us in my family. The recipe can easily be cut in half for a dinner for two or have it for a second time later in the week. Simply cover and store in the fridge for up to three days. I find coconut milk stays set much better than regular whipped cream…. another bonus! If strawberries aren’t your favorite or you just can’t find any nice ones at the grocery store, don’t worry. The strawberries can easily be switched out for raspberries or bananas. Just understand that bananas will add to the calorie count because they are a starchier fruit.
Once you taste this Chocolate Coconut Whip Parfait you’ll wonder if this recipe is just too good to be true. What could be healthy about whipped anything right? So let’s dig in…to this question.
Is Coconut Whipped Cream Healthy?
It is true that coconut milk might be higher in calories than other milk substitutes, but the calories are good calories. Coconut Milk is one of the best medium-source chain fatty acids, or rather good fats, that are easily digested and support brain function. They are also a good fat that can help to promote weight loss simply because the heart healthy fat in coconut milk keeps you feeling full for longer periods. Coconut Milk also contains lauric acid which improves cholesterol levels, lowers blood pressure, and keeps blood vessels healthy.
Fat is not the enemy as we have heard before…you just need to pick the right fats!
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 lb strawberries
- 4 tbsp slivered almonds
- Place cans of coconut milk in fridge overnight or refrigerate for several hours.
- Open cans and scoop out separated coconut cream from milk and place in large bowl. Do not shake cans.
- Beat coconut cream with an electric mixer on high until soft peaks have started to form and cream is smooth.
- Add cocoa powder, vanilla extract, almond extract, and maple syrup, and continue to beat on high until well mixed and smooth.
- Add 4 tablespoons of slivered almonds to a small pan and toast on med-low heat stirring or shaking often until almonds become slightly golden. Let cool.
- Wash and dry strawberries well. Remove tops and slice strawberries.
- In a small wine glass or tumbler, add a layer of chocolate coconut whipped cream followed by a layer of strawberries and slivered almonds. Top with another layer of chocolate coconut whipped cream.
Home Chef Tip: Serve immediately or store in fridge for up to 3 days. Ensure you purchase canned full fat coconut milk and do not shake can after it has been chilled overnight or for several hours.
We hope you love this Chocolate Coconut Whip Parfait from SoFabFood Home Chef, Alisa from The Delicious Spoon. If you enjoyed this healthier dessert recipe, be sure to stop by our desserts section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!