Low Sodium Sloppy Joe Sandwiches
Sloppy Joe Sandwiches are a traditional meal that the whole family enjoys, but the canned varieties are very high in sodium so they don’t make the cut if you’re trying to live a heart-healthy lifestyle. How can you incorporate this family favorite into your regular meal rotation? It’s easy if you whip up this simple low sodium Sloppy Joe Sandwich recipe in lieu of its high-sodium traditional counterpart. You can ditch the salt and still enjoy all of the flavor you love.
- 1.5 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 cup low sodium ketchup
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp low sodium Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp prepared mustard
- ½ tsp Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- ½ tsp Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb Seasoning
- 5 dashes of your favorite hot sauce
- Brown the lean ground turkey.
- Add all wet ingredients and stir.
- Add seasonings and mix thoroughly.
- Simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
Your family will love this heart-healthy meal and we promise they won’t miss the sodium. This recipe delivers all of the taste of your traditional Sloppy Joe Sandwich, but you’ll feel better serving it knowing it’s better for them. Serve these sandwiches up with some baked sweet potato chips and bread and butter pickles for a hearty and flavorful meal your family will love!