You need to make this Lightened Up Pizza Pasta Bake with Sausage by using skim milk cheese, turkey sausage, and low sodium spaghetti sauce. It will tantalize your taste buds, but it’s way kinder to your waistline than traditional recipes.
During the winter months, we love a big dish of pasta, but with the new year upon us, we are also trying to eat more healthy. Why not lighten up your pasta dish by swapping out heavy calorie or fat items with healthier choices like gluten-free pasta and skim milk cheese? These simple swaps will go a long way when helping to turn your favorite traditional dishes into healthier options.
- 1 pound Gluten-Free Penne Pasta
- 1 pound Turkey Sausage
- 1 Green Pepper, diced
- 2 ounces light cream cheese
- ½ a cup Red onion sliced
- 4 ounce Turkey pepperoni
- 2 (24 ounce) Low Sodium Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 cups shredded skim mozzarella cheese
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Par boil your pasta
- Cook your sausage
- Combine all ingredients into a pot and simmer (Except your Shredded Cheese) (Save some pepperoni for topping)
- Add your pasta into the mixture
- Layer half of the mixture or half way high into the pan, then add half of the shredded cheese
- Add the rest of the mixture and top with cheese and some of the pepperoni
- Cook for 20 minutes until the cheese on top is melted
- Let sit for ten minutes before cutting
We hope you love this Lightened Up Pizza Pasta Bake with Sausage recipe as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple recipe, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss another one like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our members are sharing. Enjoy!