Craving comfort food, but don’t want that heavy after feeling? Turn to this healthier classic for help! Nothing beats these Lentil Sloppy Joes with Homemade Pickles when you crave a protein-packed, healthy meal.
Lentil Sloppy Joes with Homemade Pickles
You know what I love? Yes, food, but more specifically, I love wrap-me-up-in-a-blanket comfort food that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. You know – mac and cheese, biscuits and gravy, chicken and dumplings, meaty lasagna, and the like. It reminds me of grandma’s home cookin’, and I love every spoonful of it.
What I don’t love, however, is feeling sluggish and Thanksgiving full after a big bowl of pasta. So instead of going all carby and high fat, I like to make my favorite comfort dishes into a lighter version. This recipe for Lentil Sloppy Joes with Homemade Pickles is a protein-packed, healthier classic you can really sink your teeth in to.
For this vegetarian delight, I swapped the meat out for a higher-fiber version of the classic, without sacrificing a thing! They’re super sloppy (all that sauce!) and very, very comforting. I slapped a spoonful of it on some toasted sourdough bread with a handful of crispy homemade pickles, and am incredibly satisfied.
If you haven’t made your own pickles, you should! They’re so fresh, crunchy, and garlicky, and are the perfect topping for these Sloppy Joes.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- ½ Tbsp coarse salt
- 1 ½ lbs cucumbers, sliced in rounds
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup fresh dill leaves
- 2 Tbsp pickling spice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 3 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- Wash jars with soap and water.
- Bring water, vinegar and salt to a boil in a saucepan and boil until salt has dissolved, whisking regularly.
- Allow brine to slightly cool.
- Pack cucumber slices in the jars, then pack a few garlic cloves in each.
- Distribute dill and pickling spice into each jar.
- Pour brine to the top of the jar and secure tightly with the lids.
- Allow jars to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate.
- Allow to pickle for at least one day.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet to medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté 4-5 minutes, until soft.
- Stir in garlic, then stir in lentils and chili powder.
- Once coated in oil, add stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer 15 minutes, until lentils are al dente.
- Stir in tomato sauce, mustard, brown sugar, ketchup, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and red pepper flakes.
- Allow to simmer 2-3 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Spoon Sloppy Joe mixture on 6 slices toasted sourdough bread.
- Stack pickles on top and finish with remaining slices of bread.
Home Chef Tip: When making your pickles, if you like them a little on the spicy side, add some red pepper flakes to the brine when preparing.
We hope you love these Lentil Sloppy Joes with Homemade Pickles from SoFabFood Home Chef, Julie from The Gourmet RD, as much as we do. If you love this healthier classic, be sure to visit our Vegetarian Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!