Light in flavor and topped with fresh farmers market fruit and lemon whipped cream, this Lemon Angel Food Cake Platter is perfect for warm-weather entertaining. A no-cholesterol cake recipe that’s a healthier dessert option when you’re craving something sweet.
A cake platter perfect for warm-weather entertaining!
This cheery, Lemon Angel Food Cake Platter is perfect for festive occasions this spring. Top it off with fresh lemon whipped cream, berries, and candied lemon for a delicious treat. As the weather starts to warm up, I like to serve lighter desserts with fresh flavors that don’t skimp on taste. This cake has the same ethereal texture as traditional angel food cake, but with a bright burst of lemon flavor thanks to fresh juice and zest. This recipe, which was originally written down on worn scrap paper and passed down from my grandmother, has been modified slightly and tested to perfection.
A healthier dessert option!
Angel food cake is one of the most versatile desserts we know. It pairs well with fruit, flavored whipped cream, and even chocolate sauce. It’s a no-cholesterol cake, which makes it a bit healthier than most cakes that are filled with heavy ingredients. Serve these miniature cakes on a tray with fresh berries, lemon wedges, and mint for color.
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 12)
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar, lemon extract and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in lemon zest and then the flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased pan. I used a minature bunt pan to make smaller cakes, but you can also use a 10 inch tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350°F for 25-30 minutes if using a small pan and 40-45 minutes for a large pan. Make sure cakes are lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 45 minutes.
- Run a knife around side and center of pan. Remove cake to cool completely.
Home Chef Tip: Use whatever fresh fruit you have on hand to top the cake platter!
We hope you enjoy this Lemon Angel Food Cake Platter from SoFabFood Home Chef, Molly from The Preppy Hostess, as much as we do. If you love this lighter dessert recipe, be sure to visit our Dessert Section for more like it. For weekly recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!