With just three ingredients and 20 minutes, you can have a classic side dish for your weeknight meal without a lot of fuss. These easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes pair with all of your favorite proteins and can be customized with various mix ins.
Hello everyone, I am Elise Laney from Polka Dotted Blue Jay and I am so excited to share this recipe for easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes with you today. My husband and I have been wanting an Instant Pot and we finally caved in and bought one when I found them on sale right after Christmas. I was only mildly impressed with the first couple recipes we tried, that is, until I tried making mashed potatoes! It was so easy and I am now a huge fan of my Instant Pot.
Enjoy a classic side dish in a fraction of the time!
Since I love mashed potatoes, I have my cooking process down to a science. I usually start boiling my water while I peel, rinse, and dice my potatoes. Then they take about 20 minutes to boil and an additional three to five minutes to finish preparing.
Well, not anymore, my friends! Keep reading to see how easy these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are to make.
I am a firm believer that mashed potatoes are a must for any family gathering. Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and my birthday are all mashed potato holidays. There is something comforting about a big bowl of fluffy mashed potatoes with a cube of butter on top.
We love a three-part plate in our house; a meat protein, a green vegetable like broccoli, and a generous scoop of mashed potatoes. I could eat this meal every day.
Tips for making Mashed Potatoes:
- Line your kitchen sink with paper towels and peel your potatoes. It makes clean up easy and prevents potato skins from going down the drain – that’s a big no-no and can cause sink issues.
- Cube your potatoes so they cook even faster.
- Use a hand masher for chunky mashed potatoes or an electric mixer for more creamy potatoes.
I love making these mashed potatoes and I am so grateful they don’t take nearly as long as they used to.
- 4-6 Russet Potatoes
- 1-2 cups water
- ¼ cup milk
- Minced Garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- Peel, rinse, and cube the potatoes.
- Add them to the Instant Pot and cover with water.
- Select “Pressure Cooker” on the Instant Pot and close the steam vent.
- Close and lock the lid.
- The Instant Pot will heat up and then start counting down from 10.
- When it beeps, turn the vent to release the steam quickly.
- Wait until the steam has completely stopped.
- Carefully remove the inner pot with pot holders and drain the remaining water.
- Mash the potatoes with a hand masher or an electric mixer.
- Incorporate the extra(s) of your choice.
- Serve and enjoy hot.
Home Chef Tip: The smaller you cube your potatoes, the faster they will cook.
We hope you enjoy this Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Elise from Polka Dotted Blue Jay, as much as we do. If you love this quick and simple side, you can find more like it by visiting our Side Dish Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!