These Ice Cream Fruit Kebabs with Berry Sauce are the perfect easy dessert recipe for summer entertaining. All of the season’s favorite flavors on a stick – ice cream, farmers market fruit, and a sweet berry sauce you’ll love!
Hi SoFabFood Readers! So happy to be sharing another delicious recipe with you! I’m Mahy, the foodie behind Two Purple Figs and I have a thing for ice cream. I probably should include that with coffee in my bio, because it’s quite the thing. However, since the weather here in MI isn’t the warmest, I don’t get to enjoy ice cream as much as I’d like to. These gorgeous summer days are an ice cream dream for me!
Ice cream on a stick? You bet!
My favorite thing about summer is eating ice cream every day. Yes, every single day! Now I’m making the most of it by indulging on these Ice Cream Fruit Kebabs with Berry Sauce. It’s a combo of what summer really is. Ice cream, fresh summer fruits, and a sweet berry sauce. This is a perfect pick me up snack and the best dessert after a BBQ!
Use your farmers market haul to make this berry sauce!
Before I jump into these ice cream fruit kebabs, can we talk berry sauce? It’s one of those magical things you never knew you could make out of berries laying around your fridge for awhile. Yes. I gathered up some strawberries and raspberries which I felt were too soft to eat. Simply cook them with water, sugar, and lemon juice. Voila, berry sauce. Keep it chunky if that’s what you prefer, I certainly like mine smooth so I puréed it.
How do you put ice cream on a stick?
I have an ice cream trick that’s one of my favorites. I’ve written about it in my Homemade Summer Ice Cream Cake post, and I’ve taught it at a few cooking classes. It’s one of those WOW moments when you realize you can shape ice cream rather than just scooping it. Here’s how it goes. You’ll need to have your ice cream at room temperature and then spread it over a cling film lined 8-inch square pan. Freeze the ice cream again and then simply cut out into the shape and size you want. For today’s Ice Cream Fruit Kebabs, I cut it up into 1-inch cubes. However, you can cut any size and even use a cookie cutter for ice cream sandwiches!
Choosing your fruit:
Indeed any fruit works lovely here! I almost wanted to go crazy and use pineapples and cantaloupes, but I thought it’s best to stick to my berry theme. The most important thing to remember when using fruit is to make sure they’re all roughly the same size and also the same size as the ice cream chunks. The best part is you can create so many different varieties of this dessert and go from exotic mango ice cream to classic vanilla, or both.
Assembling your fruit kebabs:
The one thing I can say here is you need a bit of patience with this. It’s easier said than done, I know. But it’s also so very important to freeze every step of the way so that the kebabs last you longer during serving. Once you have the ice cream cubes ready, stick an ice cream stick or kebab stick in the center of each cube and freeze that for 30 minutes minimum. Remove the ice cream tray and add the fruits to your kebabs and likewise, you need to freeze this for an other 30 minutes before serving.
Yay the best part! I want to say for the record that the kebabs are delicious as is out of the freezer, but with a drizzle of raspberry sauce–they’re perfect! If you dip the ice cream fruit kebabs in the berry sauce, so GOOD! Just take a look at the photo below and you’ll certainly know what I mean. I love my fruit kebabs nice and simple, but I can imagine some chocolate chips, nuts, marshmallows, coconut, and more toppings would be amazing too.
- 1 1/2 cup chopped berries (any or a combo)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 cup your favorite fruits, cut up into about the same size (1" average)
- 2 cups of ice cream (1 pint), softened for 20 minutes at room temperature
- Chocolate Sauce
- Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate chips
- Put all ingredients in a 4-quart sauce pan over medium high heat. Let the mixture boil and then lower the heat to medium low and allow the fruit to cook and sauce to thicken which should take about 18 minutes. Purée the sauce using an immersion blender or leave it chunky if it's your preference. Allow the sauce to cool completely before using, chill or freeze to speed up the cooling.
- Line an 8-inch square pan with cling film. Spread the ice cream over the cling film in an even layer and freeze for at least 40 minutes. Remove the pan from the freezer and lift the cling film, then take a knife and cut out 1 inch squares of the ice cream (you can also use a cookie cutter for different shapes). Take an ice cream stick or kebab stick and place it over each ice cream cube, and put them on a cling film lined baking sheet, then freeze the ice cream for an extra 30 minutes.
- Remove the ice cream tray from the freezer and add the fruits over each one to make the fruit kebab.
- Freeze the ready made fruit kebabs for a minimum of 30 more minutes for the kebabs to hold longer when you serve them.
- Serve the kebabs as is, or with the berry sauce, and any extra toppings if you like! Enjoy
Home Chef Tip: Be sure not to skip any of the freezing steps because they are very important to make sure the ice cream sets.
We hope you love these Ice Cream Fruit Kebabs with Berry Sauce from SoFabFood Home Chef, Mahy from Two Purple Figs, as much as we do. If you love this summer dessert, stop by our Desserts section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!