3-Ingredient Homemade Peanut Butter
Who loves peanut butter? It seems that even the pickiest of eaters loves peanut butter and it’s a great way to pack the protein into their daily diet. But did you know that the store-bought varieties house a lot of sugars and are very high in sodium? If you love peanut butter, but you’re trying to cut back on sodium and sugars, you’re going to love this sugar-free, low sodium, 3-ingredient peanut butter recipe. This peanut butter has a fresh, delicious taste and it’s a healthier alternative to traditional peanut butter.
- 4 cups unsalted dry roasted peanuts (roughly 1 – 16 oz jar)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp natural honey
- Place peanuts in blender or food processor and pulse until crumbly, almost like flour.
- Add coconut oil and honey, then continue to blend until smooth and buttery, approximately 5-10 minutes depending on your blender or food processor. You’ll need to stir it occasionally by hand to move it back down for even blending.
- Transfer the peanut butter to an air tight container and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours until it fully sets, should be “scoop-able”, and enjoy.
- This stores best in the refrigerator to keep it firm. You can store it in a cool, dark place like your pantry, but we recommend refrigeration for longevity and firmness.
It might be a little more time consuming to make your own peanut butter, but it’s well worth it for the health benefits and flavor, and it is definitely more budget friendly. This peanut butter is perfect on a sandwich, in breakfast bars, smoothies, or any other way you enjoy store-bought peanut butter. The honey adds just enough sweetness that no one will even know it’s not loaded with sugar.
If you loved this healthier low-sodium recipe, stop by our low-sodium section for even more ways you can reduce the sodium in your family’s diet. And be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single healthy recipe idea. Just by entering your email address, you’ll receive a free recipe per day delivered right to your inbox. Enjoy!