Enjoy a healthy and unique summer recipe with these Grilled Ginger Sesame Glazed Chicken Drumsticks. Rich and savory marinated chicken cooked to crisp, tender perfection on the grill.
When I think of Memorial Day, the first thing that comes to mind is grilling. I’m sure it has many different meanings depending on your own experiences and background, but good old fashioned barbecue is the highlight for me. Of course, grilling is ideal anytime during the summer, but extra special on Memorial Day.
Chicken is one of my preferred grilling meats; it’s full of flavor yet lean and healthy. Marinating brings a unique flair that transforms regular meats into a wide range of recipes. These glazed chicken drumsticks have a rich, umami, and slightly salty taste that is complemented by the savory chicken and charred barbecue flavor. All you need is a simple mixture that includes soy sauce, sesame oil and seeds, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and green onion.
Salty marinades soak deep into meats for flavor throughout. Leave the little bits from the marinade, and grill drumsticks for classic summer flavor with a twist. You’ll have beautiful, tender, and flavorful chicken that will impress and delight your guests.
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic chili sauce (more for spicier)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 garlic gloves, minced
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onions
- ¼ chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks, skin on
- Combine all ingredients except chicken in a medium bowl.
- Pour about ¾ of the mixture into a shallow dish or ziplock bag. Add chicken and toss to evenly coat. Reserve remaining sauce. Marinate chicken for at least an hour covered in fridge. Up to 12 hours, rotating midway, for more flavor.
- Preheat grill or barbecue to medium heat. Lightly grease the grill surface and cook chicken for 10-15 minutes, until bottom side is browned. Rotate and cook 5-10 minutes more until cooked through and internal temp reaches at least 165° F. Drizzle with remaining sauce before serving.
We hope you love these Grilled Ginger Sesame Glazed Chicken Drumsticks from SoFabFood Contributor, Matthew from Plating Pixels, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple recipe, be sure to visit our Grilling Section for more recipes like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a single healthy recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are grilling for the season. Enjoy!