Outdoor grilling season is here so there’s no need to heat up the kitchen! Marinade these Grilled Chicken Fajita Kabobs the night before and enjoy a short 15 minute cook time before dinner. Chicken and vegetables never tasted so good!
Cook Fajita Kabobs on your grill!
It’s approaching the time of year when I stop turning on my oven, which is very difficult when a large part of my days involve creating recipes. During the extra hot summer months, I get creative with stovetop and grilled recipes, and these easy Grilled Chicken Fajita Kabobs are one of my favorite dinners during the summer. Arranged on metal skewers with pieces of marinated chicken, colorful bell peppers, and onion, these fajita kabobs are actually my preferred way to eat fajitas. No matter how you serve them (sometimes I just eat them without any sides or other toppings!), they’re delicious for weeknight dinner or a group cookout.
For the past few years, our apartment complex had a communal grill area. It was a great amenity for us, but we were usually too lazy to go downstairs to watch over our food while it cooked. Now that we just moved though, we purchased a new grill for our balcony that I’m excited to continue experimenting this year! The convenience of grilling on our balcony is something I’m still getting used to.
What’s in the marinade?
I’ve made fajitas so many ways – grilled, baked, stovetop, casserole, frozen, etc. – but grilled is my favorite recipe. The smoky, charred flavor you get from grilling just can’t be beat, in my opinion. Of course, the marinated chicken is the best part of these fajita kabobs! Marinated with chili powder, lime zest, orange juice, and other spices, the chicken holds a lot of flavor!
You can serve these fajita kabobs a variety of ways depending on how you feel that day. Serve them with tortillas and a side of chips and salsa. You can serve them over cilantro lime rice. For a heartier appetite, turn them into a burrito-style bowl with brown rice, beans, corn, and salsa. Don’t forget the guac!
I highly recommend metal skewers that you can wash and reuse, but you can also make fajita kabobs with wood skewers. Remember to soak wood skewers overnight before using on your grill.
- 2 lb chicken breast, cut into 1-2" cubes
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lime zest
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp dried cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- Bell peppers, variety of colors, diced into 1" pieces
- In a large gallon-sized bag, combine the orange juice, olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic, and spices.
- Massage the bag with your hands to mix together the marinade.
- Add the cubed chicken to the marinade and refrigerate for at least one hour (up to 10 hrs).
- Preheat your grill to approximately 400ºF.
- Thread the ingredients onto the skewers, alternating the marinaded chicken with bell pepper and onion as desired.
- Lightly brush olive oil onto the grill and place skewers on the grates. Close grill and cook for about 10-12 minutes, flipping the skewers halfway through.
- Remove when the center of the chicken reaches 165ºF.
- Serve with warmed tortillas and salsa.
Home Chef Tip: Make this a healthier dinner by serving with brown rice, black beans, and salsa for a healthy fajita bowl!
We hope you enjoy these Grilled Chicken Fajita Kabobs from SoFabFood Home Chef, Holly from Club Crafted. If you love this easy dinner idea, you can find more like it by visiting our Outdoor Grilling Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!