If you love pasta, no-fuss recipes with easy cleanup, and dishes full of bold flavors, look no further because this Dutch Oven Italian Sausage Kale Lasagna is exactly the recipe you’ve been searching for your whole life!
Today is the best day ever! Why, you ask? Well, it’s pasta day at my house, and pasta just happens to be one of my absolute favorite foods in the whole wide world. Lasagna is a regular tradition in my house, and I like to make it with all sorts of fun ingredients. Sometimes with an Alfredo sauce and an assortment of veggies, sometimes I’ll use zucchini instead of noodles (although, like I said, I love pasta), and sometimes I’ll use chicken and throw in handfuls of spinach.
The point is: With lasagna, the possibilities are endless!
Dutch Oven Italian Sausage Kale Lasagna Recipe
Today’s lasagna version is one of my favorites. It’s made with Italian turkey sausage, which is loaded with flavor, and I just happened to have kale on hand so I sautéed that with the sausage, garlic, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper flakes.
This dish is spicy, cheesy, and absolutely delicious!
The other thing that’s extra special about this lasagna is that it only takes one pot! Having fewer dishes to wash is always a good thing in my house.
If you don’t have a Dutch oven, I highly recommend getting one! It can literally do everything: chili, soups, roasts, breads, casseroles, and now… lasagna.
Give it a try, friends, and let me know what you think!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey Italian sausage
- 1-2 cup(s) chopped kale
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ Tbsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-24 oz jar marinara sauce
- 1-16 oz tub cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 9 whole grain no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- On the stovetop, heat olive oil in a Dutch oven to medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 2-3 minutes, until starting to soften. Add turkey sausage and kale and sauté until sausage is browned and kale is wilted, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in garlic, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together marinara sauce, cottage cheese, eggs, salt, pepper, and the sausage/kale mixture.
- In the same Dutch oven, spoon some of the sausage mixture into the bottom. Place 3 noodles on top, breaking them up to fit the pot, if necessary. Top with 1/3 of the sausage mixture then top with 1/3 of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients, finishing with a layer of cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes with the lid on. Remove the lid and bake for an additional 12 minutes. Turn the oven on a low broil and broil for 3-4 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and browned. Remove from the oven and allow to cool about 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve with chopped parsley.
Home Chef Tip: To make this in a slow cooker, follow steps 1-3. For step 4, place ingredients in the slow cooker (layered, as stated in step 4), then cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
We hope you love this recipe for Dutch Oven Italian Sausage Kale Lasagna from SoFabFood Contributor, Julie from The Gourmet RD, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, be sure to check out our other One Pan Meals for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!