Whether you call it Drunken Chicken or Beer Can Chicken, we know you’ll agree that traditional recipes don’t hold up to this smoked, low sodium version. A whole seasoned chicken is slowly smoked over indirect heat using hickory wood for a taste sensation that will delight the palate!
Some call it a Drunken Chicken, some call it a Beer Can Chicken, but no matter what you call it, this heart-healthy smoked chicken is one of our favorite things to ever come off of the grill or smoker. Traditional Drunken Chicken recipes call for a lot of heavy salt seasoning and they are cooked over high indirect heat fairly quickly. Although our five-star recipe does take longer to cook, it delivers a tender and juicy, smoky-flavored bird that’s like nothing you’e ever tried. Prep time is minimal so there’s not much work involved; just plan on a little more cooking time. For this recipe, a whole chicken is seasoned with a no-salt seasoning blend, placed on a beer can, wrapped in foil, then slowly smoked over indirect heat using hickory wood for a taste sensation that will delight the palate!
- For the Chicken:
- 1 whole chicken, giblets removed, thoroughly washed, and patted dry
- 2 capfuls avocado oil
- 3 tbsp Mrs. Dash Chicken Seasoning Mix
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 can light beer
- For Smoking:
- Hickory Wood Chips (we use the large chunks that you can find at Walmart)
- Aluminum Foil
- Pyrex Dish
- Smoker or Outdoor Grill
- Prepare smoker (or grill using the indirect heat method) using hickory wood chunks and charcoal. Heat to 275ºF.
- Remove giblets from chicken, wash thoroughly, pat dry, and set aside.
- Pour ¼ of the beer in the Pyrex dish and add in some lime juice.
- Over the Pyrex dish, pour minced garlic inside of the chicken, turn chicken over and pour ¼ of the beer can over the chicken, then place chicken in the Pyrex dish with the beer can (half full) in the bottom opening as the stand.
- Sprinkle 2 capfuls of avocado oil over the bird, then thoroughly coat the bird with the seasoning mix (you may have to rub it on with your hands).
- Cover the chicken in the Pyrex dish with tinfoil to completely cover.
- Smoke for 3 hours, unattended.
- Raise heat in your smoker or grill to 350ºF and continue to smoke for 30 minutes.
- Lower heat to 275ºF and continue to cook for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from grill, wait about 10 minutes then remove foil, slice, and enjoy the awesome!
We hope you enjoy this heart-healthy recipe for Smoked Drunken Chicken as much as we do. If you love this delicious meal idea, be sure to stop by our Outdoor Grilling Section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!