This beautiful Deep Dish Spaghetti Squash Casserole recipe is packed with layers of tender spaghetti squash, pizzeria-inspired toppings, and savory mozzarella. Satisfy your pizza cravings with this easy recipe that is low-carb, high flavor, and almost healthy!
Sometimes you just need to give in to animal instinct and sink your fork into a puddle of molten cheese and marinara sauce. It seems like there are countless ways to satisfy this urge. Perhaps you could bake a tray of ziti. You might order a massive calzone. Maybe you could even get down and dirty with a plate full of mozzarella sticks.
But your cheesy fling doesn’t have to be completely superficial. By sneaking some vegetables into the mix, you can add substance to the whole affair, and perhaps even fast-track your road to sensible diet redemption. You need a Deep Dish Spaghetti Squash Casserole in your life.
Deep Dish Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipe
You’ll find that spaghetti squash makes a lovely substitution for pasta. This is especially true when it is drowned in red sauce and topped with copious amounts of melted cheese. In a loving homage to deep dish pizza, try topping your squash with pizzeria-inspired toppings.
Italian sausage, broccoli, pepperoni, or breaded eggplant are all fabulous choices since they are hearty and flavorful. This Deep Dish Spaghetti Squash Casserole recipe is thick with layers of mozzarella and tasty toppings. This makes it an utterly satisfying one-dish meal.
I tend to favor high quality ingredients with plenty of flavor while shopping for veggie-based recipes. I do this because that extra boost of flavor can help make up for what you might be missing without the usual stars like meat or pasta.
Look for a thick red sauce and consider springing for a top-shelf brand. Some of the pricier jars really do taste better, so they are especially worth splurging on. The same goes for your cheese and toppings. You’ll probably want to go big on those ingredients as well. Using rich, flavorful sausage or freshly blanched broccoli can really bump up the flavor of this dish.
- 2 cups spaghetti squash, cooked (about 1/2 a squash)
- 8 ounces loose Italian sausage, cooked
- (OR) 8 ounces broccoli, chopped and blanched until tender
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces marinara or pizza sauce
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and coat two 8-ounce casserole dishes with cooking spray.
- Toss spaghetti squash with marinara sauce.
- Fill each casserole dish about halfway with spaghetti squash, then add a layer of toppings and mozzarella.
- Fill casseroles the rest of the way up with squash, then top with remaining mozzarella and toppings.
- Place casseroles on baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until heated through and slightly browned on top.
- Allow casseroles to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
Home Chef Tip: Make a chili-mac variation of this recipe by swapping cheddar for mozzarella and using hamburger or beans as a topping.
We hope you love this Deep Dish Spaghetti Squash Casserole recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Mary Helen from Mary Makes Good, as much as we do. If you love this delightful recipe, stop by our 30-Minute Meals section to find more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and for daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!