How to debone and shred a chicken breast to save you time and money. Learn how to make the most of your chicken, including making homemade chicken broth.
How to Debone and Shred a Chicken Breast
Thinking about ways to slash your grocery bills? Not much of a coupon clipper? If you learn how to debone and shred a chicken breast quickly and easily, this will save you money. If you are trying to eat more lean protein or are on the paleo diet, you will want to add a lot of chicken breast to your daily diet. Buying boneless chicken breasts can be quite expensive, so buy them with the bone in, and shred them yourself instead.
Let’s discuss the basics on how to debone and shred a chicken. The photo above is a boiled chicken breast with the skin on. If you are making chicken stock with the water, leave the skin on when boiling for more flavor.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil; this helps prevent the pot from boiling over.
- Place your chicken breast in the pot and bring it back up to a boil, then turn the setting down to medium so it boils at a lighter pace.
- Boil for 30 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink inside. Check it at around 20 minutes.
- Take chicken out of the pot and let cool. To speed up the process, a nice trick is adding ice cubes into a container over the chicken breast.
- Once cool, you can easily remove the skin.
7. Once you remove the skin, flip over the breast. Now grab the bone and start pulling it away from the breast. There is usually one bone that you will have to pull away from the skin. Pull carefully. If it breaks off, pull the piece off with your fingers, or place a knife underneath the bone and slide it under the meat to pull it out.
This bone has been picked through to get all of the meat.
8. Now use your fingers to check the rest of the breast to make sure there are no bones still attached.
9. The last step is to take two forks, using one to hold onto the breast, and the other to shred it. Just put the fork in, and pull away. Boiled chicken will shred easily.
Now that you have your chicken shredded, you can add your sauce for a BBQ shredded chicken sandwich for lunch or fix your dinner in a snap since the chicken is already prepared. We like to multiple breasts at a time then freeze in one pound batches. What can you make with shredded chicken?
Check out all of our chicken recipes to help you diversify your weekly meal plan!
We hope you save time and money by learning how to debone and shred a chicken breast the easy way. If you enjoyed this kitchen tip, be sure to visit our Kitchen Hacks section for more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a single healthy recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!