This Dairy Free Pumpkin Cookies and Cream Ice Cream is incredible. Its sweet flavor and creamy texture is accomplished without any dairy whatsoever!
I’m so excited to share this recipe for Dairy Free Pumpkin Cookies and Cream Ice Cream because it’s pumpkin (yay for fall and all the pumpkin things), and it’s ice cream (we ALL scream for ice cream), AND it’s dairy free (bonus!).
Dairy Free Pumpkin Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
It’s made with a base of almond milk, but still uses the traditional custard method that starts with warming a milk and/or cream mixture (in this case we’re using almond milk and pumpkin purée), then whisking egg yolks and sugar together until pale and thick. The egg mixture is tempered with the warm milk mixture (in this case almond milk and pumpkin purée), then chilled and finally frozen in an ice cream maker.
You could stop there and have yourself a fantastic pumpkin ice cream recipe – sans dairy – but I like to take it one step further and mix in some crushed chocolate sandwich cookies to make this tasty dessert even more amazing!
With just this simple addition, you now have a delightful dairy-free pumpkin cookies and cream ice cream dessert that’s sure to be a hit at your house too!
The color presentation this recipe creates would be perfect for fall parties and holidays!
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 5 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- 1 cup creme filled chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
- Add almond milk and cinnamon to a saucepan over medium heat and whisk vigorously to combine. Bring mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat after 2-3 minutes. Add in vanilla extract, salt, and pumpkin purée, and whisk until combined.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the egg yolks and sugar, and whisk until pale and fluffy. Gradually add almond milk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add xanthan gum to the mixture through a sifter and mix once more. This is optional, but helps the ice cream thicken.
- Return mixture to saucepan over low heat, stirring often, until mixture reaches 170ºF. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 6-8 hours until completely cooled.
- Once chilled, pour the mixture into ice cream container and prepare according to manufacturer's instructions. About 10 minutes into mixing, add crushed cookies. and continue mixing until frozen. Transfer to a container and store in freezer.
Home Chef Tip: If you aren't worried about a dairy free option, feel free to use regular milk instead of almond milk in this recipe.
We hope you love this recipe for Dairy Free Pumpkin Cookies and Cream Ice Cream from SoFabFood Contributor, Denisse from Le Petit Eats, as much as we do. If you love this delightful recipe, stop by our Desserts section to find more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and you can visit our Pinterest boards for even more incredible dessert ideas. Enjoy!