Cuban Style Grilled Pizza recipe layers tender grilled pork, chipped Black Forest Ham, pickles, and shredded Swiss cheese on top of grilled flatbread. Your favorite sandwich just got a grilled pizza makeover!
Summertime weather beckons us to get outside. Sunny days with cool breezes give way to warm nights making the outdoor fun last longer. One of the great joys for me is firing up the grill and cooking outside.
You can make just about anything on a grill you can make in an oven. Cast iron pans let you make casseroles and skillet meals. You can foil wrap a mix of veggies like broccoli, carrots, potatoes, and beans with a little butter and close the pouch. Easy cooking and easier clean up.
This Cuban Style Grilled Pizza recipe is one of my favorite things to grill during the summer months. When I’m in the mood for a quick grilled pizza, I opt for flatbread or pitas instead of dough. These breads make great individual servings.
Cuban Style Grilled Pizza Recipe
This delicious classic easily transfers to a flatbread pizza. Another nice thing about a Cuban Style Grilled Pizza is you can make it your own.
Here’s some ways to switch it up:
- Any type of flatbread will taste great with this combo. I used a whole wheat flatbread, but any whole grain will work as well. Breads with seeds and nuts don’t flame grill well. Seeds bring along natural oils that could burn on a grill, so you’ll want to avoid those.
- I used Black Forest Ham. Try honey ham, pepper ham, or turkey ham. I prefer it chipped and piled high.
- Swiss is the traditional cheese of choice. For these grilled pizzas, I short cut the melting time by using shredded cheese. Try American, Pepper Jack, or Provolone for a different taste.
- Dill pickles give a unique crunch to the sandwich. Not a fan? Try bread and butter pickles or even garlic.
- Mustard adds that bite to finish off a great flavor combo. Straight up yellow mustard is tradition. Opt for brown, Dijon, or whole grain to spice it up!
- 4 individual flatbreads or pitas
- 1 pound pork tenderloin cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 pound deli ham, chipped
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup pickle slices,
- 1/2 cup mustard
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wet a paper towel with the oil. Lightly grease the grill.
- Heat grill on high. Season pork and sear on both sides. Move to cooler part of grill and cook until pork reaches an internal temperature of 145ºF. Remove and rest 5 minutes then shred. Set aside.
- While pork is cooking, grill flatbread. Lightly grill both sides to char mark. Remove and set aside.
- To assemble Cuban Style Pizza, spread bread with mustard. Add pork, pickles and ham. Top with shredded cheese.
- Return assembled pizzas to the grill. Close the lid and heat over low until cheese melts and pizza is thoroughly heated.
Home Chef Tip: Try swapping out the types of pickles and mustard you use each time you grill this pizza for a unique taste experience every time!
We hope you love this Cuban Style Grilled Pizza recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Cindy from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings, as much as we do. If you love this delightful recipe, be sure to check out our other Pizza Recipes to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!