This Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Chicken is the perfect budget-friendly, 30-minute meal when you’re cooking for two. Eat the chicken one night, then use the sauce leftovers for a pasta dinner the next night.
The perfect meal when you’re cooking for two!
Cooking for only two people can actually be more work than people realize because most recipes are designed to feed families, so it’s easy to end up with too much food. I know, what an awful problem to have! One of my favorite dinner recipes is this Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Chicken, which I make with extra sauce because 1) it’s delicious, and 2) I use the sauce to make a pasta dinner the following day. The beauty of this chicken recipe is that you can make more or less based on how many chicken breasts you sear and bake to go with the large amount of sauce. It’s flexible so that it works for just the two of us or a family! It also makes great leftovers!
Asparagus and quinoa are the perfect pairings!
My favorite way to serve roasted red pepper chicken is with a side of garlic roasted asparagus and a brown rice/quinoa herb blend. To make the asparagus, I melt butter in a small bowl, then stir in garlic, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. I drizzle it over asparagus and bake it for 5-8 minutes on the same tray as the chicken, adding it during the last five minutes of baking so that everything is ready at the same time. Sometimes, I also throw in some fresh bread instead of a grain, and then it’s delicious to dip the bread in the excess sauce!
Is this recipe healthy?
Not really. Nonetheless, I do use low sodium chicken broth and low-fat cream cheese, so it could be worse. Served over chicken with a side of vegetables, it evens out so it’s not bad at all. Health is all about moderation for me.
I like to add red pepper flakes to the sauce for a tiny bit of heat that brings out the fire roasted peppers. After all, that’s the highlight of the dish! You can easily add as much or as little as you want to control the flavor and heat of the roasted red pepper sauce.
- 2 large chicken breasts (or more if small)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jar fire roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 oz low-fat cream cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with foil or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat and cook until sizzling. Salt and pepper the chicken, sear on both sides, then place on the baking sheet.
- Bake the chicken for about 20-25 minutes depending on thickness. Remove when internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
- While the chicken bakes, keep the skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté about 2 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic, cook for about 1 minute until fragrant, then add the chopped roasted red peppers and cook for another 2 minutes
- Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Then mix in the cream cheese and red pepper flakes and simmer until melted, stirring occasionally
- Once the chicken is cooked through, return to the chicken to simmer in sauce as it thickens.
- Serve chicken with roasted red pepper sauce poured over the top and a grilled or roasted vegetable on the side.
Home Chef Tip: Add more chicken broth to make more sauce and save the leftovers! Purée the sauce, reheat, and add milk to thin it out as needed to serve over pasta.
We hope you enjoy this Roasted Red Pepper Chicken from SoFabFood Home Chef, Holly from Club Crafted, as much as we do. If you love this simple dinner, you can find more like it by visiting our 30-Minute Meals Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!