Think collagen is just an anti-aging beauty supplement? Think again! By eating Collagen Boosting Foods you reap additional health benefits that can help ease joint pain, prevent bone loss, and even improve gut health.
Health Benefits of Collagen Boosting Foods
Collagen – the most abundant protein in our bodies – has long been touted as the answer to all your anti-aging concerns. As we age our bodies naturally stop building collagen proteins. This is why anti-aging beauty supplements and collagen products are promoted as the solution. The real beauty is that collagen can help improve the condition of more than just your skin. Since collagen is found through the connective tissues in our bodies – in bone, muscle, tendons, blood vessels, and even your gut – you can improve your overall health by eating Collagen Boosting Foods.
How to Naturally Boost Collagen
While supplements can be an easy way to squeeze health benefits into your diet, it is easier for our bodies to absorb the naturally occurring proteins we consume in foods. Some of our favorite and most versatile Collagen Boosting Foods include:
- Fish – high in omega-3 fatty acid like salmon and tuna – helps build strong cells. Healthy cells are necessary as they support the structure of our skin.
- Garlic – is a natural source of sulfur which is a necessary component for the body to naturally build collagen. It also contains lipoic acid which can help repair damaged collagen fibers.
- Dark Leafy Greens – such as kale and spinach help naturally ramp up collagen production while also adding needed vitamins and minerals that aid in digestion and absorption of proteins.
- Almonds – have numerous health benefits like high levels of vitamin E which is the most abundant antioxidant in our skin. It helps neutralize the free radicals that damage existing collagen. Almonds also contain trace amounts of the mineral copper which is necessary during collagen production.
- Dark Red Vegetables – like peppers, tomatoes, and beets contain lycopene which not only helps build collagen production, but also has the added benefit of being a natural sun block. This helps to protect and prevent the breakdown of existing collagen in your skin.
We hope you find this information about the numerous Health Benefits of eating Collagen Boosting Foods useful in your quest for a happier, healthier you. If you enjoyed this article, be sure to visit our Healthy Food Tips section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!
Disclosure: The author of this article is not a trained medical professional, nor a dietician. All of the information in this post is based on research and personal experience.