What gets you most excited about grilling season? If you said hamburgers or steaks, you’re missing out on the magic of outdoor grilling season! Grilled vegetables are delicious with a good set of grill marks, and these Chipotle Lime Grilled Cauliflower Steaks are sure to become a family favorite!
Are you excited for outdoor grilling season?
Personally, vegetables get me the most excited for grilling — not hamburgers or steak. Vegetables get so delicious and glamorous with a good set of grill marks, a little char around the edges, and that outdoorsy smoky flavor.
These cauliflower “steaks” demonstrate that more than almost anything else I’ve grilled. Their tongue-in-cheek name is a good indicator of how satisfying a centerpiece they make on any table, vegetarian or not. They’re smoky and spicy, with a squirt of lime and flurry of cilantro.
Have you ever tried a Cauliflower Steak?
Cauliflower “steaks” have exploded into the recipe space lately. It’s a neat trick of slicing a head of cauliflower into planks and giving them the center of the plate. This idea has been around for a long time, but lately chefs have gotten into the mix too. You’ll find cauliflower steaks on menus here, there, and everywhere.
No outdoor grill? No problem!
I love the flavor from throwing these on the grill. But if you can’t cook outside you can get a similar effect by cooking them on high heat on a grill pan on the stove. The chipotle will give a little smokiness. Not quite as good as cooking outdoors, but close enough!
- 2 large heads cauliflower
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 tsp honey or agave syrup
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Remove the leaves on each cauliflower head and trim the stem end until you can set the cauliflower flat on the cutting board. Use a large, sharp knife to trim off the sides, then cut the cauliflower into 3 to 4" thick "steaks." Reserve the florets that fall away for another recipe.
- Whisk the olive oil with the lime juice in a small bowl. Whisk in the grated garlic and honey or agave syrup. In a separate bowl, mix the lime zest, paprika, chipotle, and salt.
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium. Brush one side of each cauliflower steak with the olive oil mixture and sprinkle generously with the chipotle powder mixture. Place the seasoned side down on the hot grill. Brush the tops with the olive oil mixture and season with the chipotle mix.
- Cover the grill and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the lid and carefully flip the cauliflower. Cook covered for an additional 5 minutes or until done to your desired texture.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve immediately with lime wedges on the side.
Home Chef Tip: Final cooking time will depend on how thick you cut the steaks, and on your particular grill. I cooked mine at high heat until well grilled on the outside, but still a little snappy inside.
We hope you enjoy these Chipotle Lime Grilled Cauliflower Steaks from SoFabFood Home Chef, Oxana from Style at a Glance, as much as we do. If you love this dish, you can find more like it by visiting our Outdoor Grilling Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!