You need to fire up the grill, cook up a juicy ribeye, and serve it alongside this farmers market fresh Chimichurri Vegetable Rice Side Dish. This side dish might just steal the show!
One of my favorite parts of summer is the opportunity to expand my dinner options to include delicious grilled vegetables and meats. I’m a huge fan of grilling up a steak on a Sunday night during the summer.
A few years ago, I was thrilled to discover the wonders of Chimichurri Sauce at a local Argentinian steakhouse in the Chicago area. It was at that beyond-delicious dinner that I have proclaimed to always have chimichurri sauce on hand whenever I’m eating a hearty steak dinner.
Chimichurri sauce is actually quite easy to make and stores relatively well in the fridge for a few days. The key to a good chimichurri sauce is fresh herbs. If you can’t grab herbs from your own herb garden, make sure to buy them at your local farmers market. The flavors really pop when you use just the right ingredients.
Chimichurri Vegetable Rice Side Dish
I had some leftover sauce laying around my fridge last week and decided it was high time I made something more with this sauce than just slapping it onto a steak. Leftover grilled vegetables, combined with the extra sauce, quickly came together to make this healthy yet delicious side dish recipe. This Chimichurri Vegetable Rice side dish is packed with bold flavors and it’s a great way to make the most out of your vegetable leftovers. Never let anything go to waste!
This dish comes together quickly and is even better the next day after the flavors really have had time to work together. Throw this on your plate along with some grilled chicken and you’ve got lunch and dinner covered for the next few days. It’s also a great meal on its own as the flavors from the vegetables and spicy chimichurri keep you happy.
How many of you have tried making your own chimichurri sauce? I would love to know what your go-to herb combination is.
- 1.5 cups cooked Basmati rice
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh peas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of half a lime
- 1/2 cup of chimichurri sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt your butter and olive oil. Once your skillet is hot, add your onions and shallot and cook until translucent.
- Add your minced garlic, fresh peas, and diced tomatoes - stirring constantly until the garlic is fragrant and the vegetables are heated through.
- Add your tomato paste, Sriracha and heavy cream to the pan, stirring to incorporate everything well. Add your chimichurri sauce and the cooked rice and mix well, cooking only until everything is heated through.
- Remove your pan from the heat and serve warm as a delicious side dish to your meal.
Home Chef Tip: Add any other leftover vegetables you may have on hand to this dish for even more flavor and texture.
We hope you enjoy this Chimichurri Vegetable Rice Side Dish recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Monica from Caravan of Style, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Side Dish section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!