Celebrate cheat day with an over-the-top helping of Loaded Cheesy Taco Fries! Seasoned french fries are topped with taco seasoned beef, cheese sauce, sour cream, avocado, and more! Perfect for happy hour entertaining at home.
I don’t know about you, but I could live on tacos or french fries. Better yet, BOTH. Put two favorites together to make this loaded cheesy taco fries snack. This appetizer is slathered in melted cheese sauce and topped with freshly cooked, taco seasoned beef. Add your other favorite taco toppings like sour cream, avocado, lime juice, cilantro, or green onions. This is a snack so indulgent, you’l have to eat it with a fork!
Celebrate Cheat Day with Loaded Cheesy Taco Fries!
Start with any kind of french fries as a base – even sweet potato fries if that’s your thing. I used thick cut seasoned fries because they’re my favorite, and it gave me an excuse to snack on french fries while I finished cooking the meat topping for these loaded cheesy fries.
The meat is actually ground steak that I cooked over medium heat with some taco seasoning and salt. It’s ready in minutes, so it’s perfect for putting this appetizer together for happy hour entertaining or tailgating.
Assembling these loaded cheesy taco fries is really the best part (in my opinion). With the fries on the bottom, I dumped some heated up cheesy nacho sauce over the top, then added the finely chopped cooked beef and onion, spooned a dollop of sour cream on top, squeezed a bit of lime juice over the top, sprinkled a bit of chopped cilantro and green onion, and finally finished it with slices of avocado.
Psst, you can make your own cheese sauce with this simple recipe!
Since my boyfriend is my official taste tester, he was the first to dig into these fries, and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him happier. He inhaled them in minutes, so I think it’s safe to say taco fries will be a hit! Serve them at a party or make them for yourself on a Friday night in and treat yourself to something extra cheesy and indulgent.
- French fries, fresh or frozen
- Ground beef or steak
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- Nacho cheese sauce, store bought or homemade
- Sour cream
- Limes, sliced
- Half avocado, sliced
- Cilantro, chopped
- Green onions, chopped
- Bake french fries according to package instructions until crisp and cooked through. Move to a lined basket or plate.
- Chop all of the vegetables and toppings and set aside while the fries bake.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat with about 1/2 tsp of olive oil. Sprinkle salt and taco seasoning over the meat and add to the hot skillet.
- Cook meat for several minutes on both sides, breaking up with a spoon, until cooked through and internal temperature is about 160ºF.
- Move to a cutting board to rest for several minutes. Add onion to already hot skillet.
- Cook onion for several minutes until translucent. Cut meat as needed into bite sized pieces and add back to the skillet with onion.
- Heat up the cheese and spoon generously over the hot fries. Top with beef and onion mixture. Add sour cream, lime juice, chopped cilantro and green onions, avocado slices, and other toppings as desired.
- Serve hot!
Home Chef Tip: When entertaining, try making a taco fries bar so that guests can assemble their taco fries with their own favorite toppings!
We hope you enjoy these Loaded Cheesy Taco Fries from SoFabFood Home Chef, Holly from Club Crafted, as much as we do. If you love this cheat day recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Appetizer section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!