This Cardamom Spiced Dry Fruits Milk is a healthy and delicious sleep aid. With the addition of saffron, this warm bedtime drink also helps fight cough and asthma symptoms. This classic Indian drink has been helping people get a good night’s sleep for years!
Health Benefits of Spiced Dry Fruit Milk:
Nutmeg and saffron are added to this Cardamom Spiced Dry Fruit Milk for their amazing health benefits. Traditionally, in Ayurvedic treatment, nutmeg is recommended for sound sleep since it helps to destress and calm our body. Saffron helps to treat cough and asthma symptoms. This healthy bedtime drink is recommended in the Ayurvedic treatment to treat sleep deprivation and to ease asthma symptoms in the winter season. It is not advised to drink this spiced dry fruit milk in the summer since the dry fruits and spices produce heat to the body.
During the winter season, my mom used to give me a glass of this spiced dry fruit milk before bedtime. In India, this spiced dry fruits milk mix is a great alternative for young children over the store-bought milk mix. Dry fruits and spices together make a healthy and flavorful drink with abundant health benefits.
Tips for grinding spiced dry fruit:
Grinding dry fruits to a smooth texture is quite challenging. Dry fruits like cashews and almonds ooze out oil while grinding and end up in a lumpy paste texture. It can be difficult to mix in the milk evenly. At the same time, if the dry fruits powder is in a coarse texture, it poses a choking hazard. To avoid that, follow these steps:
- Roast the almonds, cashews, and pistachios until crisp. Let them cool thoroughly, up to an hour. If you are using store-bought roasted nuts, skip this step. If you store the nuts in the refrigerator, roast until the nuts warm.
- Do not grind continuously. Pulse the nuts for 10 – 15 seconds at a time, give a mix, and blend again for 10 – 15 seconds.
- If the dry fruits mix is still grainy, sieve once before adding to the milk.
- Store in a clean and dry glass container. It stays good in the refrigerator for a couple of months.
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup pistachios
- 1 cup cashews
- 10 strands saffron
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- Sugar to taste
- Roast almonds, cashews, and pistachios until crisp. Cool completely.
- Blend the dry fruits with cardamom powder, grated nutmeg, and saffron to a fine powder. Store in an airtight container and use it whenever needed.
- Heat a cup of milk in a microwave oven, add 2 tsp of spiced dry fruits powder to the milk and mix well. Serve the spiced dry fruits milk warm.
Home Chef Tip: You can add a tsp of fennel seeds powder to the spiced dry fruits milk mix for an extra health boost.
Love this healthy drink recipe? Pin it for later!
We hope you enjoy this Cardamom Spiced Dry Fruit Milk recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Antonet from Anto’s Kitchen. If you love this healthy bedtime drink, you can find more like it by visiting our Drinks Section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!