A new way to eat brownies à la mode, anyone? These simple Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches are sure to become your new favorite summertime dessert!
Brownies and ice cream already seem like a match made in heaven, but then I got the idea to make Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches! I was “holding” (sneaking bites of) my son’s ice cream sandwich for a minute while he played and I couldn’t help noticing that while I loved the creamy inside of the sandwich, I didn’t love the two wafers sandwiching the ice cream. They seemed flimsy! That’s when I had my idea – brownies as “sandwiches.” What could go wrong? As it turns out – not much.
Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
The summer is a big deal for us. I imagine it is for everyone, but it carries heavy weight here – trying to cram in so much fun, adventure, and extended family time into merely two months. We have a big extended family as is, and it keeps growing! My parents have six grandchildren and I’m not going to tell you how many are on the way, but that number will not stay at six by the end of 2017. When we all get together, it’s a big deal, and it’s more fun to plan new kid-friendly summer dishes and desserts.
When I think of warm weather, I think of cold desserts melting down the mouths of my children, nieces, and nephews, and you know what? No one even minds it at all.
- 1 box of brownie mix of your choice
- 1 tub (quart size) of vanilla ice cream, softened slightly
- Sprinkles of your choice
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Grease a 13x9 cake pan and line it with parchment paper and set aside.
- Make the brownie batter according to package instructions.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until done.
- Once the brownie has cooled down slightly, freeze it for about 30 minutes.
- Take it out and cut into squares - I got about 24.
- Arrange 12 squares of brownies, top side down, on a cookie sheet.
- Add a dollop (about 2 tbsp) of ice cream on each and cover each with another square of brownie, this time top side up,
- Add sprinkles of your choice and freeze for another 30 minutes to let them set.
- Store leftovers in the freezer.
Home Chef Tip: When you have colorful sprinkles, you tend to get bleeding into ice cream. You can freeze the sprinkles beforehand, or buy the longer kind because they don't bleed. We chose the little ones because we love the swirly look for the summer holidays.
This is an ultimate cool dessert for upcoming hot days. It’s fun, great for all ages, and a sure conversation piece too! I think that moment you remove Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches from your freezer to serve is a game changer for any party or get-together. I can just see my whole extended family enjoying them together!
So what do you think? Would you use good old classic vanilla ice cream in between your brownie sandwiches, or would you go crazy with cookie dough or peanut butter cup? And would you use a boxed brownie mix, or make brownies from scratch? Ultimately my recipe held up, because I found that the sandwich wasn’t too flimsy to hold the creamy ice cream. This is the best way to cool down on a hot day.
We hope you love these Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches from SoFabFood Contributor, Tamara from Tamara Like Camera, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this delightful recipe, be sure to stop by our Desserts section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and visit us on Pinterest because we have a lot of fantastic dessert recipes there too. Enjoy!