Celebrate this summer’s patriotic holidays with these delightfully delicious and super simple Berry Coconut Thumbprint Cookies this year. Blueberry and cherry jam are served up on light and fluffy coconut cookies!
Berry Coconut Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
I adore themed foods. Easter, Christmas, Halloween – the more festive the food looks, the better! Last year for Memorial Day, we made berry crumble cheesecake bars, and I knew this year I wanted to stick with the fruit theme. It’s just too convenient that blueberries are blue and cherries, strawberries, and raspberries are red, you know?
I really love the cookie part of these Berry Coconut Thumbprint Cookies. They’re short-bready, light, buttery, flaky, and absolutely delicious! Topped with the blueberry and cherry fruit jam, these are perfect for your patriotic gatherings this year.
When you’re making your cookies, the dough is going to seem really dry and not at all like “regular” cookie dough. That’s okay! The dry texture is what makes these cookies more like shortbread and less like a sugar cookie. The recipe is so simple: flour, coconut, baking soda, butter. All the usual cast.
My husband’s favorite flavor combo is peanut butter and chocolate. If I make a dessert and it’s not peanut butter and chocolate, he’s half-hearted about it at best. It took him a full 24 hours to even try these cookies, but when he finally did, he loved them. Ten point for me, although he ended up smearing peanut butter on them anyway. PB&J cookies, anyone?
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Cherry jam
- Blueberry jam
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, coconut, baking soda, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat in the butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla, scraping the sides of the bowl. Beat until light and fluffy. (I used my hands at the end to help it come together. The dough will seem dry, that's okay). Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and bake for 14 minutes. Make a dent in the cookies; fill half with cherry jam, half with blueberry jam, and bake for about 10 minutes. Let cool before serving.
Home Chef Tip: Take the cookies out of the oven a few minutes early to check. Cookies tend to harden as they cool, so even if they seem "undercooked," they might be just right!
We hope you love these patriotic Berry Coconut Thumbprint Cookies from SoFabFood Contributor, Sarah from Drool Worthy Daily, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this delightful recipe, be sure to stop by our desserts section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, visit us on Pinterest because we have a lot of fantastic dessert recipes there too. Enjoy!