These Beef Lasagna Stuffed Shells are a budget-friendly meal. This simple dinner alternative to classic lasagna uses jumbo pasta shells stuffed with a beefy mozzarella and ricotta cheese filling that are baked in the oven for 45 minutes.
These super easy and budget-friendly Beef Lasagna Stuffed Shells are perfect if you are trying to put a hearty meal on the table for less than $25! This dish can serve up to 5-7 people and requires just a few simple ingredients.
A hearty, budget-friendly meal!
Hearty and satisfying meals don’t have to break your bank! I am all about getting the biggest bang for your buck. This recipe can be made with regular lasagna noodles as well. There is just something so fun about the shells that I love. These Roasted Parmesan Garlic Brussels Sprouts are also budget friendly and make a great side dish to this meal!
Each shell is coated in marinara sauce and then stuffed with a beefy mozzarella and ricotta cheese mixture. The shells are topped with more marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese then baked until all the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Just look how hearty and delicious these are!
Can I use a different protein in this one-pan meal?
Ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground lamb would also work in this dish. You can still cook them the same as you would according to the directions with ground beef.
Can I make this easy dinner alternative vegetarian?
There are tons of different options you can use if you want to make these Lasagna Pasta Shells vegetarian. The options are truly endless, just use your favorite. Make sure to simply sauté the veggies the same way you sauté the spinach in this recipe. Some amazing veggie options are:
- Bell peppers
What’s so great about this budget-friendly dish?
- Incredibly affordable to make for your family. Double the recipe and freeze a batch for another weeknight meal!
- Simple and satisfying with only a few ingredients involved.
- Tasty and is full of flavor! These jumbo pasta shells are also wholesome and stuffed with plenty of meat!
These shells have everything you want and need in classic lasagna, except they are stuffed in a jumbo pasta shell! Meat, cheese, pasta, and more without all of the layering fuss.
How can I make these shells even more budget friendly?
If you are wanting to save a few more dollars on this meal, you can leave out the spinach or buy frozen spinach instead of fresh. You can also use a half pound of beef instead of one pound. The shells would be a little less beefy, but still so tasty and hearty! Another easy tip is to buy a block of mozzarella cheese instead of shredded. Simply shred the cheese yourself to get more out of your dollar!
These Stuffed Shells make the best leftovers!
All you have to do is heat them in the oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or you can microwave them until warm and the cheese is melted.
- 1/2 box jumbo pasta shells (20 shells)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 jar marinara sauce (about 3 cups)
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- 2 eggs; slightly beaten
- 1 bag fresh spinach
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- Salt, pepper, oregano, basil for flavor; optional
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Bring a large pot of water to a boil (be sure to season water with 1/2 teaspoon of salt). Cook half of the jumbo pasta shells according to the box directions.
- Once the shells are cooked, drain, run cold water through the shells to remove access starch, and place back in pot. Add 1/2 cup of marinara sauce to lightly coat the shells and set aside- this will prevent the shells from sticking.
- In a medium frying pan, sauté the onions and garlic until translucent, then brown the ground beef on medium high heat until fully cooked, about 5-8 minutes. Drain the beef and place in a large mixing bowl.
- In the same frying pan, spray the pan with non-stick spray and add the spinach and sauté until spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes. Drain to remove water.
- Combine the wilted spinach, ricotta cheese, eggs, 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup of marinara sauce, and seasonings (optional) to the mixture and stir until the mixture is fully combined.
- Pour about 1 cup of marinara sauce into a 13 x 9 baking dish and evenly coat the dish with a spoon.
- Spoon about 2 large spoonfuls into each shell or until it is stuffed. Place on baking pan and repeat until baking dish is full.
- Top the shells with the remaining marinara sauce and cheese if desired. Cover with foil and let bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and let bake for another 5 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
Home Chef Tip: This recipe is freezer friendly. Double this budget-friendly meal and freeze one for later! Cover the shells tightly with a layer of plastic wrap and a layer of foil. Place in the freezer for up to 6 months. To defrost, simply let the lasagna defrost for a few hours and place in the oven according to directions.
Love this simple dinner idea? Pin it for later!
We hope you love these Beef Lasagna Stuffed Shells from SoFabFood Home Chef, Kathryn Donangelo from Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Beef Dinner Section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!