Home entertaining just got more delicious with this simple, loaded BBQ Chicken Skillet Dip. This easy appetizer uses cream cheese, rotisserie chicken, barbecue sauce, green onions, cheddar, and spices to make a hearty dip that holds up to your favorite chips!
The weekend that I made this dip, it was supposed to snow 3-6 inches. Then, the forecast changed to 1-2 inches, and eventually just became rain. The weather forecast had changed so suddenly. It was a little disappointing since I had been so excited to get snowed in with my husband! I prepped by buying hot chocolate and a ton of ingredients to make snow day worthy snacks and meals. Despite the change in the weather, I still decided to whip up this BBQ Chicken Skillet Dip!
Skillet BBQ Chicken without the mess!
This dip has all the flavor of barbecue chicken without having to fire up the grill! It starts by mixing cream cheese, barbecue sauce, shredded chicken, a cheddar cheese mix, green onions, garlic powder, and paprika together. Bake the mixture until bubbly and then top with more cheese! When that top layer of cheese is nice and melted, drizzle on a little extra barbecue sauce and dress it up with more green onion, chopped red onion, and cilantro!
I definitely recommend saving yourself some time and money by grabbing a rotisserie chicken to make this dip. We had rotisserie chicken the night before I made this, so I shredded up the rest so it was ready to go the next day!
I also used a brown sugar barbecue sauce. It gave this dip a nice sweetness. Depending on the type of barbecue flavor your crowd loves, you can also use an original barbecue sauce or kick it up with a spicy and bold sauce!
- 2 - 8 oz packages of cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese mix
- Optional: additional barbecue sauce, chopped green onion, chopped red onion, fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and lightly oil a cast iron skillet with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, stir the cream cheese, barbecue sauce, garlic powder, and paprika together.
- Stir in the chicken, green onions, and half of the cheese.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared cast iron skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until it starts to bubble.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Place skillet into the oven and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and starts to bubble.
- Remove from oven and allow the dip to cool slightly. Then, drizzle additional barbecue sauce on top and sprinkle with fresh cilantro and green onions.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips.
Home Chef Tip: To make a lighter version of this recipe, use fat free cream cheese and low fat shredded cheddar!
I could not wait to dip into this recipe! This warm and cheesy dip is full of barbecue flavor. Serve it with tortilla chips or your favorite dipper. It’s going to be a hit the next time you’re home entertaining, no matter the occasion!
Love this easy appetizer? Pin it for later!
We hope you enjoy this Loaded BBQ Chicken Skillet Dip from SoFabFood Home Chef, Jessica from Living La Vida Holoka, as much as we do. If you love this hearty dip, stop by our Appetizer Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!