Ditch the gobs of mayo when you make this healthier classic Avocado Egg Salad using everyone’s favorite fruit. These finger sandwiches are the perfect party appetizer, or you can make a bigger sandwich for a deli-style meal at home!
A healthier classic deli-style favorite!
Love egg salad sandwiches, but you’re watching your waistline and trying to ditch the heavy fats? Turn to this recipe for Avocado Egg Salad and ditch tradition by leaving out gobs of mayonnaise. This healthier classic works perfectly in tea or finger sandwiches as a party appetizer and it’s fantastic in a lettuce wrap for a deli-style meal that’ll help you stick with those healthy eating goals.
Avocado: A creamy-dreamy substitute for mayo!
When I first met my husband, he lived in California and I lived in New Jersey. I was 24 and had never been to California. When I finally visited there over the summer of 2004, I discovered I had never really tried avocados. Not even in wonderful guacamole!
Wanting to remedy that, I ate avocados with every meal. We scrambled them into our morning eggs, poured salt, pepper, and lemon juice into them for a lunch or snack, and topped our nachos with them for dinner. I kid you not – my husband even makes desserts with avocado.
Avocado Egg Salad Finger Sandwiches are easy to make!
When we moved back east, I missed the California avocados. I missed the sunny porch lunches. Then we discovered that our local co-op has great avocados and that spring around here is pretty sunny which gave me a new recipe idea.
My time-honored egg salad sandwich tradition had room for growth, and I decided to add avocado to it and ditch the huge amount of mayo. Avocado is an exceptional fruit and it adds so much creamy goodness to this easy appetizer. I’m certain that these Avocado Egg Salad Finger Sandwiches will be a huge hit at your next get together!
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 avocado, cored and flesh scooped out
- 1 tbsp of mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp of white vinegar
- 2 stalks of green onions
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp of mustard, Dijon mustard, or condiment of your choice (optional)
- 10 to 12 slices of bread
- Cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- Cut the bread slices in shapes of your choice.
- Blend the boiled eggs, avocado, mayonnaise, white vinegar, green onions, salt ,and freshly cracked black pepper in a food processor.
- Slather one slice of bread with condiment of your choice.
- Hit it with little salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Spoon in the blended egg-avocado mix and spread using a butter knife.
- Cover it with the second slice of bread.
- Repeat with the remaining slices.
- Garnish with tomato halves and serve immediately.
Home Chef Tip: Cutting sandwiches into tea or finger sandwiches instantly makes them festive - in my humble opinion - and you can also use cookie cutters to make them into spring shapes. Adding other fruits and vegetables adds color and flavor.
Love this easy appetizer? Pin it for later!
We hope you enjoy these Avocado Egg Salad Finger Sandwiches from SoFabFood Home Chef, Tamara from Tamara (Like) Camera, as much as we do. If you love this easy appetizer, check out our other appetizer recipes so that you’re always ready for last-minute entertaining and potlucks. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!