Looking to add probiotics into your diet? Kefir is the solution! Kefir is a probiotic rich drinkable yogurt that can be used in smoothies, shakes, marinades, and more. A healthy dose of probiotics your body needs!
What exactly is Kefir?
First things first, let’s level up on what exactly Kefir is because you might not be super familiar with this drinkable cultured milk. According to Lifeway (a popular Kefir brand), it’s “a tart and tangy cultured milk smoothie” that has loads of health benefits.
According to me – Kefir is delicious and makes excellent smoothies. Especially this Cherry Berry Kefir Smoothie.
How is Kefir different than yogurt?
Okay, so Kefir is not totally yogurt, but it’s on the same spectrum as yogurt. They are both creamy and tart and made with dairy. Here are the most common differences:
- Kefir typically has more fat than yogurt, but also more protein and more probiotics.
- Yogurt is a bit thicker than Kefir.
- Kefir is easily drinkable, yogurt is best eaten with a spoon and also in granola.
3 Simple Ways to Add Kefir to Your Diet:
1. Drink Kefir
The easiest way to add more Kefir into your diet is by just drinking it! The consistency is thin so you can easily enjoy with a straw. There are tons of flavors, so you can definitely find one that pleases your palate.
2. Make a Kefir Smoothie
Another very simple and delicious way to incorporate plain and flavored Kefir into your diet is to add it to a smoothie. Here are a few smoothies that already include Kefir into the recipes:
- Cherry Berry Kefir Smoothie – This smoothie uses strawberry Kefir and tons of antioxidant rich berries for a super healthy drink.
- Strawberry Kefir Smoothie – The cocoa nibs in this smoothie add extra flavor and deliciousness.
- Banana Blueberry Kefir Smoothie – The bananas in this smoothie make it extra creamy and delicious.
3. Use Kefir as a Marinade
Since Kefir is rich and can have basic flavor (unsweetened), it makes an amazing marinade especially for chicken. Here are a few recipes to use your next bottle of Kefir with as a delicious marinade:
- Lemon Marinated Kefir Chicken – This super easy dinner can be prepped in the morning and then grilled just before you are ready to eat.
- Coriander Chicken Kebabs – These chicken kebabs are full of flavor and a healthy way to enjoy dinner with your family.
- Grilled Kefir Chicken – This recipe uses mango orange pineapple kefir for an amazing, juicy, and delicious grilled chicken meal.
We hope this information and recipes from SoFabFood Home Chef, Hannah from The Beard and The Baker, help you in your quest for a happier, healthier you! For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!