Treat yourself with this 15-Minute Fried Caprese Sandwich. This indulgent sandwich holds all of the flavors of your favorite salad fried to beautiful perfection in sour dough bread.
Who likes Cheat Days? I sure do and this 15-Minute Fried Caprese Sandwich is one way I like to celebrate my day off of watching what I eat. It’s full of cheesy goodness, tomatoes, basil, and it’s fried!
I am a firm believer that food and drink are just as important as everything else in life. You can truly enjoy life on a whole new level when you are eating amazing food. Cozying up on the couch watching TV with your family with comforting and indulgent cheat foods is a great way to savor life, especially on chilly fall and winter nights. It might be unhealthy, but cheat days are always the best days and they wouldn’t be complete without cheesy and fried foods.
What is Caprese?
Caprese is an Italian salad made of Fresh mozzarella cheese, sweet basil leaves, sliced tomatoes, and seasoned with salt and pepper. This Fried Caprese Sandwich is my favorite twist to a traditional Caprese Salad for cheat day.
15-Minute Fried Caprese Sandwich
Easy to assemble, and ready in just 15 minutes, this sandwich is perfect for lunch, dinner, or any time of the day!
This recipe is one of my favorites. I love that ooey-gooey cheesy factor. It will never let you down. It’s crispy on the outside and cheesy and juicy in the middle. Fried Caprese Sandwich is not only the ultimate marriage of bread and cheese, tomato and basil, crunch and melt, but it’s also one of the simplest and indulgent cheat day meals you’ll ever try.
This Fried Caprese Sandwich can be served with piping hot soup or with a simple balsamic reduction for dipping.
- 6 slices fresh Mozzarella
- 6 sour dough bread slices (small
- 12 basil leaves
- 2 sliced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn starch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups Italian bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Oil for frying
- Placer corn starch in a bowl. Add water and stir well. Set aside.
- Take a slice of bread. Place Mozzarella cheese, tomato slices, and basil leaves.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Cover it with another slice of bread.
- Now dip this into corn starch batter. Coat the sandwich on all sides with the batter until fully covered.
- Arrange breadcrumbs on a plate and coat the sandwich to fully seal the cheese, tomato, and basil inside to avoid leaks during frying process. Repeat the same process with remaining ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan.
- Gently place the sandwiches in the pan and deep fry them until golden brown in color from each side or until golden and crispy.
- Serve hot and enjoy!!
Home Chef Tip: Although I used Sour dough bread, you may use any bread of your choice. You can also use Pesto sauce instead of just basil leaves. If you don't wish to deep fry this, you can also pan fry the sandwich. Skip the corn starch batter and bread crumbs.
We hope you enjoy this delicious 15-Minute Fried Caprese Sandwich recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Dhwani from Cooking Carnival, as much as we do. If you love this simple lunch idea, you can find more like it by checking out our other Sandwich recipes. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!