Enjoy traditional Italian flavors when you make this Homemade Vegetable Lasagna with Robust Tomato Sauce. It’s simple to make ahead and heat on busy weeknights.
We love the robust flavors of Italian cuisine and feel that a great tomato-based sauce is what makes the meal so delicious. Traditional lasagna is one of our favorite dishes, but sometimes we like to lighten things up and skip the meat. Most of the vegetable lasagna recipes floating around use creamy cheese sauces and nothing about that screams classic Italian flavor to us. When we have a craving for a lighter lasagna, we always turn to this recipe for Homemade Vegetable Lasagna with Robust Tomato Sauce. Cheesy, saucy goodness packed with your vegetables of choice, this dish is simple to prepare ahead of time so you can just come home from your busy day, pop it in the oven to heat, and enjoy a savory dinner.
For this particular meal, we made our Homemade Vegetable Lasagna with fresh mushrooms, red bell peppers, yellow squash, and onions, but really the possibilities are endless so feel free to customize by using whatever vegetables you prefer.
- 2.5 cups low sodium Marinara Sauce - homemade or your favorite jarred sauce
- 9 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 2 cups Ricotta Cheese
- 2 tbsp Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb seasoning
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ cup shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 2 cups vegetables of choice, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a 9"x13" Pyrex baking dish, spread a thin layer of marinara sauce to cover the entire bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, garlic seasoning, and ½ cup of sauce, set aside.
- Place 3 lasagna noodles on the sauce to make your first layer.
- Spoon half of the ricotta mixture over the noodle layer and spread to cover thoroughly.
- Add a layer of your fresh chopped vegetables.
- Sprinkle a generous layer of mozzarella cheese, and then a light layer of Colby Jack, then parmesan.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce over cheeses, then cover with 3 noodles.
- Repeat steps above to complete your second layer.
- Cover the top layer of noodles with sauce, then sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover with tinfoil.
- Bake at 375ºF for 50-60 minutes.
Tip 2: Prepare lasagna over the weekend, store covered in the freezer until you're ready to serve. Bake frozen lasagna at 375º for 90 minutes, until all cheese is bubbly and noodles are thoroughly cooked.
We hope you love this recipe for Homemade Vegetable Lasagna with Robust Tomato Sauce as much as we do. If you love this recipe, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss another one like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!