Spring and summer give us plenty of opportunities to gather for brunch. This savory Vegan Chickpea Scramble Brunch recipe is a wonderful addition to a beautiful buffet or as a stand-alone dish.
Growing up, our dad was in the Army which meant frequent moves across the country and even a few years in Europe. We didn’t get to spend much time with our extended family which is tiny. It would be years between visits with our two cousins and their parents. Most holidays and special occasions, it was just my parents, my sisters, and me. We have fond memories of our holidays, but there were times I wished we had a bigger family.
When my sister, Alice, moved down the street from me, she started hosting some really fun get-togethers. Family celebrations are much larger than when we were kids, and there is lots of laughter. Whether we have family game night or brunch, these events are one of the memories I want my children to hold on to and replicate with their families.
Vegan Chickpea Scramble Brunch Recipe
Living in the northeast, our menu and meal options seem to be heavily influenced by the seasons. Stews and chili dominate in the winter and we tend to stay home more often than not. But spring and summer are perfect for getting together for brunch. Between the many things to celebrate: Mother’s Day, graduations, Father’s Day, out-of-town company, it seems like every weekend is perfect to have a Sunday Brunch. This Vegan Chickpea Scramble brunch recipe is a family favorite!
While we used mushrooms, Kalamata olives, and sun-dried tomatoes, you can add whatever you have on hand. It is also delicious with spinach.
To get the proper consistency, slightly mash the chickpeas, taking care not to overdo it.
You can do all your prep work before you start to cook. We like to divvy up the tasks; one person chops, while another one cooks, but that is really just an excuse to spend more time talking to each other.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- pinch of salt (to taste)
- 6 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 cans of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- water (may not be needed)
- 2/3 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes (julienne)
- 1 tsp olive oil or oil from sun dried tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves chopped garlic
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Heat oil. Once oil is thoroughly heated, add onion and salt if desired. Sauté onion for a few minutes until translucent.
- Stir in mushrooms and sauté until brown.
- Add chickpeas, nutritional yeast, and turmeric.
- If the scramble is getting dry on the pan, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time (up to 3 or 4 tablespoons).
- Stir in olives and sun dried tomatoes.
- Make a well in the pan and add one teaspoon additional olive oil and sauté garlic in well for approximately 30 seconds.
- Stir garlic into the other ingredients, heat for 30 more seconds.
- Squeeze the juice of a lemon onto scramble and mix well and serve hot.
Home Chef Tip: Instead of using olive oil to sauté garlic, use the oil from the sun dried tomatoes.
We hope you enjoy this Vegan Chickpea Scramble brunch recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Beth from Daily Dog Tag, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Breakfast Section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!