This recipe for Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry is so simple to make and full of flavor! With just six ingredients and about 30 minutes, you can have lunch (or dinner) on the table. It makes two generous servings, but can easily be doubled for a family of four. The perfect weeknight meal.
This Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry is rich, creamy, and full of nutrition. This is a very budget-friendly and an extremely flexible meal too. Feel free to make it your own by adding spinach, kale, cauliflower, peas, or any other vegetable add in you love.
The base of our recipe is red curry paste, which you’ll likely find in the Asian section of your local grocery store. It is red, but not hot. Just a little tiny kick at the end and the sort of happy-medium this girl loves.
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry Recipe
The Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry begins with sautéing onions and garlic in a tablespoon of oil. Once the onions have softened a bit, add the Thai-style red curry paste (this brand happens to be vegan, but not all brands are so it pays to read labels) and canned coconut milk. Next come the cubed sweet potatoes and chickpeas that have been drained and rinsed. Be sure the sweet potatoes are submerged in the liquid, stirring frequently to ensure even cooking. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer. Continue to cook uncovered.
Now is a good time to get that rice going! I like to use quick-cooking rice and if I am really in a time crunch, boil-in-bag rice which takes less than 10 minutes.
Serve the Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry over the rice and garnish with fresh, flat-leaf parsley or cilantro.
When refrigerated, leftovers do tend to thicken. To reheat, you may need to add a little vegetable broth and warm it, covered, over medium heat just until hot.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 of a small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 of a large sweet potato, 1/2" diced
- 1/2 to 3/4 of a can of coconut milk (do not use the light version)
- 1-2 tbsp red curry paste (vegan-friendly)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley OR cilantro, for garnish
- Brown rice, for serving
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and onions.
- After a few minutes, add the garlic, taking care not to burn.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2" cubes.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Cook the rice according to package instructions. Boil-in-bag rice is a quick option.
- Add curry paste and stir to combine.
- Add the coconut milk, sweet potatoes, and chickpeas.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Stir often to make sure the sweet potatoes cook evenly. Cook uncovered.
- The sweet potatoes should be tender and the sauce thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over rice and garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro.
Home Chef Tip: This is a quick recipe, but all of the ingredients can be prepped in advance making this a LESS than 20 minute meal.
You can also buy pre-cut onions and sweet potatoes in the veggie section of your grocery store if you are really pressed for time. Fresh parsley or cilantro work equally as well in this dish.
We hope you love this delightful recipe for Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry from SoFabFood Contributor, Aimee from The Veg Life, as much as we do. If you love this simple recipe, stop by our 30-Minute Meals section to find more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and you can visit our Pinterest boards for even more incredibly quick and delicious vegetarian lunch and dinner ideas.