Lower Sodium Taco Casserole
Switch things up for Taco Tuesday with this recipe for Lower Sodium Taco Casserole. This is a simple casserole packed with protein and vegetables, plus all of the spicy flavors you love without all of the sodium. Since this dish uses crushed corn tortilla chips for the crust, it’s gluten free too. This is one healthy and flavorful meal you’ll want to add to your weekly rotation once you give it a try.
- For the Casserole:
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 can no salt added corn
- 1 can no salt added red beans of choice, blended in food processor
- 1½ cups unsalted corn tortilla chips
- 1½ cups enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese of choice
- For the Enchilada Sauce:
- 3 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1-10 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Prepare your sauce by adding oil and corn starch to a medium stovetop pan, whisk and heat for 1 minute, then add all other ingredients, stir, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Cook ground turkey until almost done.
- Add 1 cup enchilada sauce to turkey and simmer until turkey is cooked thoroughly.
- Crush ½ of the tortilla chips and cover the bottom of a 9x9 baking dish.
- Cover the crushed chips with the turkey mixture.
- Cover with corn.
- Cover with bean mixture.
- Crush the remaining ½ of the tortilla chips and sprinkle on top.
- Cover with cheese of choice (we use Monterrey Jack).
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce evenly on top.
- Cover and cook in a 425º preheated oven for about 30 minutes, until cheese is evenly melted.
By using lean ground turkey instead of ground beef, this recipe is lower in fat than the traditional taco casserole recipe. The homemade enchilada sauce makes this dish moist and flavorful and you can use the same sauce recipe for enchiladas, burritos, and other Mexican feasts that call for a tomato-based sauce.
If you love this low sodium recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our low sodium section. Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single healthy recipe. Just by entering your email, you’ll receive a free recipe per day delivered right to your inbox. Enjoy!