It’s that time of the year when we start to second guess all of those holiday cookies we ate and start to look toward some healthier options. This Lightened Up Creamy Tomato Basil Soup is so hearty and satisfying and will certainly warm you up on cold nights!
In my house, we are big fans of tomato soup and grilled cheese. Whenever I don’t have a dinner planned or we are just hungry for something warm and comforting, I love to quickly throw together this soup and pair it with whatever sandwich fixins’ I can find in the fridge. I know that canned soups are a great convenience, but this tomato soup barely takes any time and is so much heartier and healthier than the canned version. Most tomato bisques are full of cream, but this version swaps the cream for fat free half and half which gives the soup richness and depth, but not added calories. If you aren’t too concerned about fat content, go ahead and use the real stuff, but I think the fat free version is just as good!
- 2-28.5 oz cans of tomato sauce
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- ½ medium sized sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fat free half and half
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, torn into small pieces
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp Italian seasonings
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, drizzle your olive oil. When pot is hot, add onions and cook 3-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic cloves and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomato paste and stir.
- Add canned tomato sauce, chicken broth, and half and half and stir well to combine.
- Add basil, parmesan cheese, and seasonings. Use salt and pepper to your tastes.
- Let cook over low-medium heat for 15 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Flavors intensify the next day, so even better if you make, refrigerate, and then serve the next day!
This soup tastes even better the next day, so make a big batch of this to reheat through the week. It makes a great lunch! Your co-workers will wonder what smells so good when you heat it up. The basil really freshens up the flavor and gets stronger as the soup sits. If you aren’t serving this with grilled cheese or sandwiches, I love to top it with croutons, mozzarella, and some extra basil.
As the weather cools down in your neck of the woods, I hope you try this lightened up version of creamy tomato basil soup. I guarantee it will be a family favorite and you won’t ever want to go back to the canned version again.
We hope you love this Lightened Up Creamy Tomato Basil Soup recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Amanda from Old House to New Home, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple recipe, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss another one like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our members are sharing. Enjoy!